Two Choices - Bose or Audioengine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alksion, Sep 5, 2014.

1. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I have a dilemma and want to receive the community's help. I want to purchase a new 2.1 system for my iMac and have narrowed it down between two choices. It is important to note, I do not want suggestions to any other speakers.

Click here for my first choice. I know all the "crap" Bose receives, but for $199, I get the entire package. I am leaning towards these because it would probably be the best bang for my buck. I know they're out of stock currently.

Click here for my second choice. Audioengine's seem to have awesome reviews according to "audiophiles." My only problem is that the speakers themselves are $250 and the complimenting subwoofer is another $350. I don't doubt it would be an amazing setup, but not sure if it's worth it right now since I am saving for a house (never too early) someday.

Let me know what you guys think and please be detailed as to why you feel a certain way.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I've had the Bose Companion 3's for a few years now. I like them a lot, and I don't care that audiophiles don't. Many people hate Bose, just like many people hate Apple.

They sound great, they're compact, and they look good. Go with Bose. In this case, they're actually cheaper than your other option.

3. kzhlin macrumors member

Bose is good if you are not an audiophile. It sounds nice at first, but it doesn't have much detail.

Audioengine makes some decent speakers but they are quite position-dependent if I remember correctly (speaker placement and tilt made a noticeable difference in the sound.).

4. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

In regards to the bold. Very well put. That convinced me right there. I got them for $199 on Costco.com :)

I'm not an audiophile and I am switching between the built-in iMac speakers and my Sony MDR-7506 cans right now. I think these new Bose should do the trick. I will certainly report back after I get them.

Any suggestions on EQ settings on the Mac?

In regards to the bold. The way I see it, if I get tired of them, I can always sell them on eBay and buy a different brand while recouping my loss nicely.

Thanks for your input!

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Cool, enjoy!

These are the EQ settings I use:
    [​IMG]

6. torana355 macrumors 68020

Audioengine by a long way. They are a full range bookshelf speaker, not a satellite speaker with a subwoofer which kills alot of the detail. However you have linked to the passive model which requires amplification. Bose is ok but heavily overpriced for the sound that you get, you can get a much better sounding satellite and subwoofer combo for the same price.

7. kzhlin macrumors member

Audioengine speakers (A2's or A5's) are quite nice, but do need a DAC to sound nice. They also heavily depend on placement. Bose are a bit overpriced, have a big and powerful sound, but lack detail and clarity (not really noticeable at first if you don't normally listen to headphones or other higher end audio gear).

8. torana355 macrumors 68020

The OP has not linked to the A2 or A5's though, the link is for the passive P4 model which requires amplification anyway so a DAC will not be as important depending on the amp used to drive them.

9. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Maybe when / if I get tired of the Bose, I can get a legitimate setup with a great amp, passive bookshelf speakers and a proper subwoofer.

This will allow me more time to save and research it so I can have a proper set up some day.

----------

Awesome, thanks!!!!

10. torana355 macrumors 68020

It seems you were sold on the Bose before even posting this thread. Just go with the Bose, it will always sound decent without sounding fantastic and if its selling at a decent price go for it. You could also go for the Active Audioengine speakers that don't require an amp.

11. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

It's really just a money issue that's all. If I could, I'd be driving an Audi A8, but that's not possible. My VW Passat is more than sufficient at this point.

Same way I feel about the Bose. Would you mind posting the link to the speakers you mentioned?

12. kzhlin macrumors member

Check this out: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091XSBOOK/Focal-XS-Book-Music-System.html?tp=252&awkw=75648098425&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47748458905&awdv=m

Was thinking about getting one of those before I pulled the trigger on the B&W MM-1's.

13. alksion, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

alksion

Is there a reason why the sound "muddy" to me? Also, I heart static / hissing coming from the speakers. WiFi interference?

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I use the Beats Pill as my Mac speaker solution and I highly recommend it to everyone. They have amazing sound quality and look great too.