Two Choices

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ggibson913, May 5, 2014.

1. ggibson913, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Being an AT&T customer on the new family share plan I chose to upgrade my phone to the Galaxy S5. I used the NEXT 12 plan as I wanted the option to go back to the iPhone if I ended up not liking the GS5. Was worth it to me to have the ability to get out of the phone in a year if I didn't like it. I had planned on selling the iPhone and using that money towards just paying off the phone.

But since AT&T doesn't charge interest, and I can always pay it off. Next year I can trade this in and get the new iPhone or newer Android if I want it, though it means I am sort of leasing the phone. My instinct is to just ride our the contract for a year and see what happens. What are your guys thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't follow. Do you have an older iPhone that you intend to sell to pay off the GS5?

If you want to continually be in a contract so you can basically lease your phone for 12 months then do it. Not sure what the choice is, you already got the GS5, right?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You are correct, you are leasing a phone at this point since you have to trade it in to get a new one (unless its fully paid off).

VZW has the Edge plan and its similar. An interest free loan and once the phone is 50% paid off you can trade it in for a new phone.

It all depended when you're contract is up, since you're not forgoing subsidized pricing. I think its worth it, only because I can jump around on a different phone but YMMV