Two completely different keyboards... Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PowerFullMac, May 10, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am curious as to why the picture on my MacBook box and the actual MacBook itself have completely different enter, shift, backspace, command and other buttons too... Anyone know?

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Its a UK keyboard, we don't have the # key at 3, its the £ key. France has a different keyboard layout as well, but pretty much everyone else, to the best of my knowledge, uses a US style keyboard.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah... my Norwegian is much closer to the UK one than the US one... (ie. same basic layout but with a few keys moved around a bit to accommodate the Norwegian letters Æ, Ø and Å). I think this also applies for the other Scandinavian layouts, and most other European style ones. One thing to look for is a key between the Z and left shift. Most European (QWERTY) ones have that, the US don't. :)

But I guess that Apple didn't bother taking extra photos for the MacBook boxes and just have a plain US one on all of them... ;)

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ahh... OK, thanks for that :)

How can you in the US survive without that button between the Z and shift? I am superior with my extra button!

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

That button is used for typing '<' and '>' and is placed to the right of the 'M' key on US keyboards or our ',' and '.' keys.

Why there is no standardization yet on keyboard layouts is beyond since it very often is a frustrating experience. Especially if you go abroad.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Dvorak for the win.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it means your different :D

woo think different!

10. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

not to attack your keyboard but how do you survive with that small return key? do you get used to it after a while?

11. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

It isn't much smaller, it's just vertical rather than horizontal. I actually prefer it because of this, and I like that it touches the backspace key.

However, the tiny left shift key annoys me, as I never use the right one. It would be so much more convenient for me if the right shift key was the one which got cut in half, leaving the left one full size.

12. StuBeck macrumors 6502

It took me about a day to get used to the enter key on my x31 UK keyboard versus using a MBP US keyboard.It is nicer actually, although I tend to press the top of the key near the ] on the US keyboard then near the ; on the US one. And the MB UK keyboard's enter key is much smaller then normal ones. My computer now allows a full size enter key by making the []'# keys smaller, where on the MB its full size.

13. Underworld macrumors member

Underworld

I bought Mine from Saudi Arabia and it have the same layout of the UK version

i'v been looking for a keyboard silicon protector for it for 3 weeks and no success, we have the reseller here selling it for 30$ and just don't want this thief all that money :D

about the button between the Z and shift? we use it here as a letter but not actual one from mac, we have a small program to convert the mac layout to the windows layout (i.e letters) and it used by those who work in office on windows and back home in mac (only the Arabic latters)

have u seen a keyboard protection for this around ?

Attached Files:

14. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Now that's different:cool:

15. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

Haha, my one from Dubai has the same layout. It's good that there's some differences out there, aye? :D

16. Underworld macrumors member

Underworld

hehehe

well here many guys have the same coz the reseller we have deals ME apple stpre which also deals with uk apple store

:\

So did u ever found any skin for our unique layout :D

17. TomsMacBook macrumors 6502

I'll take a look at the Apple store over the weekend, see what I can dig up. If worst comes to worst, perhaps we can come up with a deal? I buy it, ship it, and you paypal me, or something? I dunno.

Like I said, I'll take a look this weekend :)

18. Underworld macrumors member

Underworld

alright man that would be great !! :D