Two computers, one DSL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by n8mac, Nov 13, 2007.

1. n8mac macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a problem at work. We have in our front office a G4 connected via ethernet to DSL. In the back office we just bought a used pc with xp on it. We want both to connect to the internet. We just had the phone company come out and install the DSL line in the back office. I connected the pc via ethernet also.

The problem now is that both computers can't be on the internet at once. What are our options?

2. teeforb macrumors member

If I am understanding you correctly, then all you need is a router.

3. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Call your phone company back and explain that they messed up the DSL installation, and would they please come back and fix it. Make it plain to them that you have two computers.

Or you could install a switch and connect your computers to that and connect the switch to the DSL modem. You would share the bandwidth, but depending on your business that may not be an issue.

Yeah, probably correct, but most dsl modems have the capability of handling more than one computer at a time. I think that the phone company botched something and installed the new dsl on the same phone line, but in another office.

4. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

yep...that would be the easiest I guess...just buying a router and some WLAN sticks and connecting to a Wlan.

5. n8mac thread starter macrumors 6502

So I should be able to use the line for both computers, that's what I thought. I will give them a call.

These modems have a plug for only one computer.

See, the problem is I can't have the two offices connected with a cable, they are across a hallway from one another. That's why I had the phone company come and install ($240usd) the second line in the second office so that both computers can use the net. But as it turns out I have to turn one modem off so the other can be connected.:mad:

Thanks for all your help thus far guys.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Wireless router? :D

Really, a router IS the solution in this case, providing you can get both machines connected to it. You can't have more than 1 modem on the same line (from what I know), you'd need a separate line. If you supposedly had them set things up on a separate phone line, then maybe they DID botch it.

7. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Two computers, one DSL

I had the same problem.

The solution is Apple AirPort. Your dsl line provides the signal, input, for the AirPort, which then broadcasts that signal to another computer, which has a wireless card installed.

You only need 1 dsl, argue for a refund from the phone company.

Buy an Apple AirPort, make sure both computers have wireless cards installed, and your done.

In this I'm assuming that the 2 computers are, as you say, across the hall. Nee close together in terms of AirPort reach.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Or, you can save your money and buy a much cheaper router that works just as well

9. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

A Router from Linksys or DLink or Netgear are cheaper and work well too. Sometimes better because they are not afraid to look God Awful to give you better reception.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

you should get a wireless G router. i've had mine for a few years now and still works great in my home. i currently have my xp laptop connected wirelessly and wired thorugh my dock, my gf's xp pc connected by wire my xbox 360 and ps2 connected with wire and my mac connected wirelessly all on the same microsoft router.

you can only hook one computer to a modem to one phone line so you can't hook up 2 computers on 2 different modems to the same phone line, they should have known that so i'd push for a refund.

if you go that route i have an extra new usb wireless 802.11g adapter i'd sell you. i accidently bought 2 for my mac but work with xp.