Two Computers One iPhone

Resist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Been trying to figure this out and seem to be keep getting lost in how to do it. I have an iPhone that I want to be able to access and sync with my iTunes account on two computers. I currently have iTunes on both computers but they don't have the same songs and apps on them. I use my Desktop as my main computer for iTunes and my Laptop when I am in other rooms of my house. There are times when I find a new song or app on iTunes with my laptop and download it but if I sync my iPhone then I lose songs and apps because they weren't on the laptop but were on the Desktop.

How can I sync my iPhone with my Laptop when I buy a song or app and not lose everything in it that was set up from my Desktop iTunes?

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
The iPhone can only sync to one iTunes library. Syncing with another one will prompt you to overwrite the existing content in iTunes. One workaround is to set manual sync for your music so you can drag and drop songs across multiple computers. For apps however, you can use the iTunes to purchase the app (any computer you signed in), then just use the iPhone to sign in over wifi or 3G to install the app again. Your account will ensure you would not be billed twice for that so no worries.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Resist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
One workaround is to set manual sync for your music so you can drag and drop songs across multiple computers.
I already have iTunes set for manual sync. I have more music on my Desktop, so when I try to add new music or apps purchased from iTunes on my Laptop, it wants to delete some of them because it doesn't see them on the Laptop.

Comment

Resist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe I don't understand iTunes then because I don't get the drag and drop way of doing it.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Select the songs on the right and then drag and drop them on the iphone icon on the left of the screen.
Dont try to sync them thru iphone settings.
The apps wont work just the music.

Comment

Mak2204

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Hi
would you know if t is possible to copy all my apps movies and music from one pc via and external had drive across to my laptop. My problem is I Have 90-110 apps on the pc and another 100-150 on the laptop I want to merge them into one.

Any ideas. I'm happy to manully copy files acros provided iTunes will allow me to drag and drop.

P.s iPhone is jailbroken 3.1.2

Comment

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Hi
would you know if t is possible to copy all my apps movies and music from one pc via and external had drive across to my laptop. My problem is I Have 90-110 apps on the pc and another 100-150 on the laptop I want to merge them into one.

Any ideas. I'm happy to manully copy files acros provided iTunes will allow me to drag and drop.

P.s iPhone is jailbroken 3.1.2
The latest copy of iTunes does what you want over wi-fi. Its called homesharing - http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/#home-sharing

Comment

Resist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
If iTunes has already been been able to do what Home Sharing does in iTunes 9 for a long time, then how is it new? Again, the only thing new is the name.

Comment

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Do i need to? I'm quite confident this is a new feature in iTunes 9 because I am been using it and even the website says so. Anyway I'm tired of convincing you, just think whatever you want!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.