Two Computers One iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Been trying to figure this out and seem to be keep getting lost in how to do it. I have an iPhone that I want to be able to access and sync with my iTunes account on two computers. I currently have iTunes on both computers but they don't have the same songs and apps on them. I use my Desktop as my main computer for iTunes and my Laptop when I am in other rooms of my house. There are times when I find a new song or app on iTunes with my laptop and download it but if I sync my iPhone then I lose songs and apps because they weren't on the laptop but were on the Desktop.

How can I sync my iPhone with my Laptop when I buy a song or app and not lose everything in it that was set up from my Desktop iTunes?

2. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

The iPhone can only sync to one iTunes library. Syncing with another one will prompt you to overwrite the existing content in iTunes. One workaround is to set manual sync for your music so you can drag and drop songs across multiple computers. For apps however, you can use the iTunes to purchase the app (any computer you signed in), then just use the iPhone to sign in over wifi or 3G to install the app again. Your account will ensure you would not be billed twice for that so no worries.

Hope it helps.

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I already have iTunes set for manual sync. I have more music on my Desktop, so when I try to add new music or apps purchased from iTunes on my Laptop, it wants to delete some of them because it doesn't see them on the Laptop.

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Manual sync only works for music, not apps. The drag and drop method worked for me so I don't understand where your problem lies?

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Maybe I don't understand iTunes then because I don't get the drag and drop way of doing it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Select the songs on the right and then drag and drop them on the iphone icon on the left of the screen.
    Dont try to sync them thru iphone settings.
    The apps wont work just the music.

7. Mak2204 macrumors newbie

Hi
    would you know if t is possible to copy all my apps movies and music from one pc via and external had drive across to my laptop. My problem is I Have 90-110 apps on the pc and another 100-150 on the laptop I want to merge them into one.

Any ideas. I'm happy to manully copy files acros provided iTunes will allow me to drag and drop.

P.s iPhone is jailbroken 3.1.2

8. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

The latest copy of iTunes does what you want over wi-fi. Its called homesharing - http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/#home-sharing

9. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

10. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Eh... DUH!!!!

iTunes 9 IS the latest version of iTunes... just like Ice-Cube stated!!!!!!!!! So yes the 'Home Sharing' ability is new in this version of iTunes!

11. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

If iTunes has already been been able to do what Home Sharing does in iTunes 9 for a long time, then how is it new? Again, the only thing new is the name.

12. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Home Sharing is a new feature with iTunes 9. In the past was just music sharing. Music sharing does not require a iTunes store account.

13. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

14. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Do i need to? I'm quite confident this is a new feature in iTunes 9 because I am been using it and even the website says so. Anyway I'm tired of convincing you, just think whatever you want!