Two computers... same QuickLook issue in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theBigD23, Aug 31, 2009.

1. theBigD23 macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    I've upgraded two computers to Snow Leopard and the one issue I'm having is .doc files, .xls files, and PDF files, the icon does not show the file when in column view. When I'm in icon view, cover flow, or even on the desktop, I can see the the thumbnails of the file just fine, but in column view, it does not work. This did work in Leopard. I should point out that the bug does not happen for movie files in column view, just mainly .doc files.
    I've tried restarting, and this is happening on a Mac Pro early 2008 and on a MacBook Pro, early 2008. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!

2. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've also removed and reinstalled Office 2008 and the same problem exists with .doc files.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's not a bug. Not sure what the problem is but if it were a bug I wouldn't see this :

Attached Files:

4. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, I'll let you know why it is a bug. I wasn't talking about the right side of the column view. I'm talking about the same column. You see the PDF icon? That should not be a standard PDF icon, it should be a small preview of the PDF file, just like Leopard. The reason your .doc files are white, I'm assuming is because you use Pages to open your files. If it was Word, it would be not working, and it would be a blue .doc file icon, when it should be a preview of the files. I hope this made sense.

5. devburke Guest

I think that’s by design. None of my icons in column view are previews. They’d be too small to be of any use anyway, so they probably stopped rendering them in SL to cut down on a useless performance hit.

6. theBigD23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would seem to be the case. If anyone else knows a way of changing this in Terminal or is having a different experience, please post. Thanks.

7. deniseL macrumors newbie

I think I understand...

I have noticed something simular too, I have 4 Pages documents in one folder, 3 have mini preview icons, 1 does not, just the pages symbol. Annoying, but not serious, any fixes anyone? Running Snow Leo.

8. deniseL macrumors newbie

I figured out my issue!

I noticed my icons that were not working were all iWork docs, so I reinstalled iwork after deleting the local library iWork Prefs. (I don't know if that was required, propably not). Worked after a restart!:)