Two days left for changing my Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Guys I have a retina MacBook Pro 15. I'm still indecise between keeping it or give It back to apple and get a common one with high res screen or an Asus.

My problem is that the screen looks blurry in regular things like 720p or the web and that the UI is not as smooth as regular MBP. And I'd save money by switching.

What should I do? I want a Mac to last me 2-3 years. This Retina lags with its own OS XD

Thanks

2. B..., Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

If 10.8.3 made things better for you, it shows that more improvements will be made and things will keep getting better. So, I recommend to keep it, but only if you want to. Do what you think is best.

3. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

4. Haiku214 macrumors member

The problem is looking for that right laptop to replace the retina.

5. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

lol i know man, Once you go Retina its hard to go back to standard screen resolutions.

6. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I suggest you return it. Most Retina owners start with "love it" and go from there. I don't think you will grow to "love it." For these prices, you shouldn't have any doubts.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

It a bad sign when you need to convince yourself so I say return it. Either wait for the next rMBP refresh or buy the cMBP. If you wait for the next retina refresh you'll get Haswell.

8. Aspen macrumors member

Dump it. That's what I did with the 13" for the exact reasons you describe. No need to use hard earned money for a product that you won't be happy with.

Also, Apple needs to learn the lesson to quit pushing out products that aren't ready. If people buy the products anyway, they won't get the message.

9. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

If only..... :(

10. AFDoc macrumors 68030

XPS 13 from dell has an available 1080p screen and is a sharp little unit. 13" screeen in 11" form factor. I picked up the 13" rMBP but returned it and picked up the 15" when the prices dropped. I actually liked the 13" size better but am liking all the extra HP under the hood of the 15". No reason to have buyers regret, you are obviously having second thoughts so it's not the computer for you. Good luck with your search.

11. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I'm afraid of being not 100% satisfied with the cMBP too. I could hate the screen as well and the heaviness

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

If a bit less than 1 pound is bothering you, you should consider investing in a gym membership, it should make that 1 pound feel like next to nothing and even has physical and mental health benefits!

13. bitfidelity macrumors member

I just checked the prices on the cMBP, and it seems pointless to not get a rBMP.

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Do you have the Samsung or LG screen? Curious if that makes a difference on what you are describing.

15. walkie macrumors 6502

I recommend to keep a rMBP, with the last update Apple showed us that they really care about us and support the product and the rMBP is getting more and more better and snappier, now I can say I'm really satisfied and I have faith in the rMBP, I won't look back :).

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm quite happy with my 13" rMBP. It was "ready" as far as I'm concerned. People complain that Apple lags behind, but then whenever they jump out ahead, people complain that they are pushing out products that aren't ready.

Not all products are right for everyone.

To the OP, if you aren't happy, then don't be afraid to return it. That said, more and more content is being optimized for Retina, and with Google now pushing a Chromebook with a similar resolution, you can bet they will be doing the same with their content. As for the lag, I don't really notice it, especially not with 10.8.3, but if you do, then you may be better off with a cMBP.

----------

This is the same kind of nonsense people said when the MacBook Air first came out. All else equal, a lighter notebook is better. By your logic, we should still be using 7-8lb heavyweights, because why should the extra 1lb or 2 over one of those fancy 6lbs thin-and-lights bother anyone?

The biggest adjustment to me in going to the 13" rMBP has been the added weight from my 11.6" MBA. If Apple releases an 11.6" notebook with a Retina Display, I'll probably switch to it.

17. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Not this year: the battery life is bad enough as it is without the retina. Sure,Haswell will be a little bit better, but think of that ULV processor and underclocked GPU. If the 13" Pro with 768 MB of 4000 VRAM can't yet...

18. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If you're not satisfied now, return it. If the screen is the most important issue to you, get an iPad with Retina.

The screen on the cMBP is not that bad. As long as you don't have your face buried into it (i.e. a few inches from the screen), it shouldn't be too much of an issue

Basically.

OP, it's five pounds. Is that too heavy?

19. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's tough to say, really.

I'd like to agree with the other users that it will get better in time (with software updates via Apple), but it's also a very expensive machine that you should expect a lot out of (and not have to worry about issues).

Ultimately, it's your money and your decision.

More apps and websites are being developed/changed for Retina optimization. Your rMBP is just ahead of the curve :)

On a side note, are you more focused on power and performance, or do you care about aesthetics/looks (and weight)? The cMBP is still a great machine and by no means is the screen "bad".

21. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

The rMBP WILL last 2-3 years, easily. I've still got a 2008 17" MBP that works perfectly, as well a 15" PowerBook doing field duty for video offload and minor FCP edits. The rMBP is one helluva laptop. Easily the best on the market...but it absolutely IS entering new territory. There will be continuous updates, bettering the experience both in software and hardware revisions. This isn't to say the rMBP is a first gen product. It absolutely is NOT. It's only first gen addition is the display. Apple has been providing SSD only machines for several years now (MBA). They've got a couple years of thunderbolt under their belt, and drive less machines aren't new.
    That said, the rMBP sports an extremely fast SSD. Incomparable memory efficiency (near 100% which is impossible to achieve with regular DDR RAM installed yourself), an amazing form factor, phenomenal cooling system and fan array that is whisper quiet....an excellent over clocked GPU, twin thunderbolt I/O, HDMI, SD slot...the whole package. Nothing missing (-DVD drive). USB 3 and a class leading...market leading display. LG? Take it back and have them replace it. I've done it with one of ours. It took them 24 hours. 10.8.3 was a welcome update and definitely improved scrolling frame rates on the iGPU with wickedly coded sites ala Facebook, Ars, Techcrunch, et al. It's an expensive machine. I'll give you that. But IMHO, it's justified. There just isn't this type of power built into this form factor sporting this beautiful a display on the market. Forget Haswell. There's always going to be something better, faster, and more refined around the corner

FWIW, my 11" MBA runs my high resolution 27 ACD just fine. Any issues you may have aren't die to lack of GPU power. It's solely due to software optimization. This is proven through nightly builds of safari. That's always an option if you're struggling with a poorly coded site. Any mission control lag and/or Mac Store lag that was evident in 10.8.2 is now gone. It's as fluid as my 2011 MBA and 2011 17" MBPs. If its buyer's remorse, that's understandable. Take it back. Save a coup,e bucks on a Windows machine and wash your hands of Apple. If you think you've got issues now, wait'll you try Win 8

Lol. Pure ignorance. Apple is on the cutting edge of laptop form, function and power. If you bought a 13" MBP to play games on, that was your mistake. Every other option on the market in the 13" class doesn't hold a candle to these rMBPs. The intel 4000 is ubiquitous on the entire range of the push for Ultrabooks. Intel invested $300mil to push this idea. They did it after seeing the success Apple achieved with the MBA. So far, it's been a disappointment. Windows 8 is partly to blame. Secondarily, it's tough to stack an integrated GPU with a CPU and expect similar performance to a dedicated GPU. Graphics is far different from Bluetooth cards, Ethernet, sound cards, etc that we all used to pile into our PCI slots to 'better' the machines performance. Today, more and more software is actually able to take advantage of the GPU's power to help the CPU with calculations.

Apple is ready. You weren't.

Sin-freakin-serely

(so tired of reading/responding to this rubbish---so why do I? A ton of folks looking to make an Apple purchase tend to look to MR for decision making. They should know the truth)

Jeremy

22. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

23. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM