Two dead iMacs, I give up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marc11, Mar 31, 2013.

1. marc11 macrumors 68000

So, a while back I ordered a base 21 inch iMac, the new version. It arrived DOA, the screen would not work. No problem, shipped it back and bought the top line 21 inch from the refurbished store from Apple. It arrives, does not boot, HDD is dead, this is the fusion drive too, not that it matters I guess...but I have read a number of people with the exact same problem on new iMacs.

I tried to use internet recovery thinking maybe it was an OS issue, the install does not see any HDD. Called Apple, shipping it back, I am not buying another one.

What pisses me off the most is the refurbs are supposed to go through an extra QA process, how can a computer that does not boot pass QA?

Disapointed in Apple big time, but for now, I will just buy an external Dell Monitor and use it with my MBP.

Not looking for much by way of replies just wanted to vent.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's easy to blame Apple if you don't know where it happened, what about shipping, it might have well got that "damage" in transport.

3. Bigtree macrumors 6502

4. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

It arrived in perfect condition and two dead computers due to shipping maybe but really if a shipping g carrier is damaging computers then apple should pack them better. Either way I won't be getting another for a while.

5. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Ive had 3 iMacs this month and each one was flawless (i returned because I could not decided on the specs I wanted)...

Maybe something is wrong with the electrical outlet you are plugging them into ;)

6. eternalife macrumors regular

I'm guessing shipping issues

I received my 21.5" last week and my experience with UPS wasn't that good. The outer cardboard box was significantly damaged at one corner. The tape sealing the box was broken at both edges holding the top to the sides. The inner cardboard box had the same damage at the same corner although less. Finally the apple box and similar damage at the corner although even less. There was no indication on the box what was inside and no 'Fragile' markings. I'm sure it was treated like there were a bunch of bath towels in there. Fortunately my computer is working just fine (except for constant beachballs in a few applications).

7. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Admittedly, I think I'd be pretty upset as well. However, I think you're just having a bit of bad luck here. I'd go ahead and get another one. Hopefully, third time's a charm. :)

8. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep I agree, I think it is just a bit of bad luck. But it gave me pause to think about maybe just getting another year out of my 2010 MBP with an external monitor instead of a new iMac. Maybe the two bad Macs were just a sign?

9. chiliconcoli macrumors newbie

If something as simple as this _isses you off, then what would you do if the IMac got crushed or did not arrive at all??? Take a deep breath, man. Life is full of surprises.

Along the same lines as your problems with IMac, here is what happened to me:

1. I bought a new Cadillac.
    2. Got in a wreck and got killed.
    3. I call GM customer service and asked about their 5 star safety rating.
    4. They said I died because I hit a tree off-center. Their cars as typically designed to hit trees exactly in the center of the bumper.
    5. I told them that they should re-design the veh so that NO ONE would die.
    6. They told me that they would do that, but that 2,459,328 other customers also asked for safety re-designs. But my recommendation would be reviewed as soon as possible.

Obviously, an analogy.

As others have stated, there is no specific chain of custody when the manufact ships a product. As Confucius once say: Feces sometimes happen.

BTW, Apple did recently re-design its boxes. Was your product in the old box or in the newly designed box? Seriously.

As far as quality control, perhaps apple should approach the situation like the military.

Once upon a time, the military used a CJ6.
    After complaints, the mil switched to a hummer type of vehicle.
    After more complaints, the mil switched to M59, M75, M113. One of the common complaints was "packaging" (of troops).

We also had the Hummer, later followed by the MMPV.

In short, manufact do re-design packaging.

Based on the above, why not recommend that Apple ship its product in boiler plate, but perhaps Apple should wrap the actual product in about 36 inches of foam all the way around the product (inside of the boiler plate). In fact, if you request Apple to do it, they might design your shipping container per your specs. Not sure if they would charge extra for that.

If you are wanting perfection, nothing in life is perfect. Actually, your spelling was ALMOST perfect. Hopefully, mine is close.

10. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would ask why not take the first one to an Apple Store and exchange it since it's a base model. And then I would guess you don't have one near you.

11. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

You just got unlucky. Apple would probably compensate you for it if you rang them and explained how unhappy you were.

13. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Cute. Thanks for the lecture.

14. marc11, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Your post is useless. Did I ever say I wanted perfection? All I said is I wanted a working product, as ordered and paid for, if not the first time, at least the second.

How can you ever forgive me for making a spelling mistake...really?

15. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I recommend you to edit your post, you can get kicked out for this.

16. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

I did, moment of anger, but you quoted me, so now its here forever! :)

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, I edited my post as well, it was there for about 30 seconds.

18. buysp macrumors 6502

Your using it the wrong way LOL

19. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

20. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

The packaging could look fine and still be damaged by the carrier. I have a neighbor that works for a shipping company. (I won't be too specific, but i'll say FedEX or UPS) One day he delivered something to me, asked what it was, and when I told him he said, "I'll wait for you to open it because I guarantee it's broken.", and he was right. He went ahead and put it back on the truck right there. He said a lot of people that work at shipping companies just throw stuff all over the place.