Two Deals - Which to choose...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DryEyez, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Which Deal would you choose yourself?

1. Deal 1

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Deal 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other/Neither - If option 3 explain reason why

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

So I've been scouring a cheap new laptop that I can use to travel with. I've found two deals, which I am now faced with.

Deal 1

Black Macbook 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo / 2 gb ram / 200 gb hdd. Comes with original box and charger. Only fault with the machine is there is a slight crack on the right hand side. (common fault)

The price for Deal 1 is £300

Deal 2

White Macbook 1.8ghz Core Duo / 2 gb ram / 320 gb hdd. Comes with charger, no box. Only fault with the machine is there is a slight crack again on the right hand side as same as Deal 1, unfortunately also the battery does not hold its charge.

The price for Deal 2 is £200

------------

The questions here are.

1. Is Deal 1/2 a good deal. I suspect there may be room for negotiation to possibly knock sellers down a little.

2. Out of Deal 1/2, which would you personally choose.

Also an important note is my usage. This will be used for very light usage. The only thing I will be doing on this laptop is created/editing word docs and creating presentations for work purposes, using Powerpoint. Internet usage and maybe some light itunes usage.

Would I need a Core 2 Duo, or will a Core Duo fit my needs? I would in all likely hood, whichever deal I get, look to upgrade either of these machines to their absolute maximum potential. If I acquired Black Macbook I would probably also look to swap it over to a ssd.

Thoughts/comments are welcomed!! Also added a poll :cool:

2. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

Getting anything less than a Core 2 Duo at this point would be a waste as new software from many companies has already dropped support for core duo

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Deal 1 without a doubt. not only is it a C2D, you also get the box, accessories, and a working battery. As the first responder said, getting a Core Duo now is a waste unless you plan to run a different OS on it like Linux.

The Black macbook is also fairly rare and I wish I had been able to get my hands on one. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it should also run OS X Lion, while deal 2 will not.

4. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

You're correct as could be, it got dropped from Mountain Lion, but that's really not a big deal unless you NEED total iOS synchronization.