Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
When going to the "save as" window, i have two Desktop icons in the sidebar. One used to point to a weird folder that was hidden, I have since deleted it and its contents.
Now one of the two Desktop icons points to nothing and goes dim when you click on it, and the other points to the correct folder. I tried removing the desktop icon from Finder to try to "reset it" perhaps, but that did not work or change anything. I have a feeling this happened after turning off file vault, but am not sure.

Does anyone know of a way to manually remove links from the sidebar in the Save As window? Dragging the icon out is not allowed.

Help me!

Thanks!

cJ

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Sounds like a job for Permissions repair, or Zap the PRAM (Cmd-Opt-P-R at startup until a second chime sounds).

The sidebar icons are typically the same as the sidebar icons in the Finder windows. Except the Desktop is added in to all of the save windows. So something needs to get reset to get that second Desktop folder out of there.

crjackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
tried and no go.

Anyone have any ideas? I tried showing all files perhaps maybe there was a hidden one in the sidebar in finder, but nothing.

please help! Sooo annoying!

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
The Save As... Window reflects the sidebar from every Finder window. If you change the contents there, then you change the contents of the Save As... Window as well. Your Desktop Folder (with the contents that appear on the Desktop) is located in Macintosh HD/Users/yourusename/Desktop Try deleting the folders that go nowhere from the sidebar in a normal finder window (Just drag them off the side of the window and they will disappear). Then drag the Desktop Folder from your User folder to the Sidebar again. If this link works in the Finder then it will work in your Save As... Dialog Windows.

crjackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Well the save as sidebar was not exactly reflecting my finder sidebar, otherwise that desktop icon would not have been in there! It was really strange how it only showed up in the Save As Sidebar and not the Finder sidebar, when i turned off the invisible file mode that link that went nowhere grayed out, as if it were hidden before. I have a feeling file vault had caused this since originally that unneeded desktop icon pointed to a weird desktop in a strange directory that was hidden, some of my old files were even in there!

However I just found a solution to my problems, http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060722000521435

For some strange reason, my Finder sidebar started to add aliases by itself. Sometimes it would duplicate multiple copies of aliases a few times, but these duplicates were actually just ghost aliases, but it still slowed down the Finder.

Finally, I trashed the file com.apple.sidebarlists.plist, and that solved the problem. Here's the path to the file:

~/Users/Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

[robg adds: This is probably a somewhat isolated incident (I've never seen such issues on my Macs), but for those who are having similar sidebar issues, knowing the name of the file to remove will save a bit of time.]

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.