two different versions of current-gen SR MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Freyqq macrumors 601

2. davidec macrumors regular

3. kusanagi macrumors regular

Actually, i think there might be some other changes.

My original SR 2.2 macbook pro purchased about a week after the release would go up to 98c (208f) at max load, however my December purchased macbook pro 2.4ghz does 65c (149f) at max load.

4. azhelkov macrumors member

I am curious too. My original MBP purchased in last November is mid 2007 model. It went to repair recently and logic board was replaced and it looks a bit different to my recollection. Is there any way to find out a hardware difference between mid and late 2007 models?

5. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

There aren't any differences. They just added more BTO options for storage capacity on the late 2007 model and added a 2.6ghz BTO option as well.

6. azhelkov macrumors member

It is hard to believe. BTO options are for retailers. Apple in firmware/software updates specifically discriminates those two models. Yes, the specs are identical, both are Santa Rosa chipsets and Merom processors. The difference probably subtle but I am pretty sure there is a difference. Anyway, if somebody make a bald statement, I would like to see a reference. Thanks.

7. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

If you would actually take time to read past the tech specs, not everything is the same. The Mid 2007 model came with Tiger, the late 2007 model comes with Leopard, these are the differences.

Late 2007 model-
    Mid 2007 model-
    Late 2007 model-
    Mid 2007 model-
    The 2.6Ghz model is the "subtle" difference you are looking for...

8. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Oh and.

BTO options are for any customer.

9. azhelkov macrumors member

Thanks, I can read. And 2.6 just 8% boost compare to 2.4. Now compare the price yourself. If you would be curious enough and know about Intel SpeedStep technology you probably wouldn't even rasie this suggestion. Unfortunately my question felt on deaf ear. This thread is about hardware/firmware difference in those two mid/late models regardless software and CPU boost. I personally interested in two "identical" 2.4 models. May be there is nothing. But don't lecture me with obvious.

10. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Actually, I believe the main difference is indeed the software. All Apple computers come with an OS - so how would you differentiate what bundled OS came with it? How would you also differentiate which needs a Leopard add-in if it came with Tiger? *Shrug*

11. azhelkov macrumors member

Is it true that Apple treat old hardware as a new release with every major OS change? I doubted it.

12. tip macrumors 6502

tip

But there is no hardware change. Since the MacBook Pro package INCLUDES items such as bundled software, it makes sense that it might have an small change to the model number with Leopard (hence the "/A").

13. azhelkov macrumors member

Yes, but Apple did not do the same with other products? I am not talking about package labeling. They really introduced new MBPs. And since then treat them as a different release. I suspect there is some difference. It could be as simple as some parts from different manufacturers with different drivers or firmware versions or revised chipsets or ... You get a picture. If there is no conspiracy, it is fine with me. But if there anything new, please share.

14. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

There is no conspiracy, there is nothing new, how many people need to say it?

15. azhelkov macrumors member

Just you so far over and over again without any proof and knowledge.

16. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 601

well the thing is..look again at the model numbers

the 15" changes but the 17" stays constant..and both get the same BTO option changes..which leads me to believe that there was some other change too..

17. wildwobby macrumors member

Apple didn't do anything but add BTO options. Everything else is exactly the same. It's not really rocket science. I'm very surprised that a thread as stupid as this would have so many responses.

18. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 601

19. Macsleuth macrumors member

didn't know 2.6 Ghz proc were out yet?

I thought that was the next update we're all waiting for.
    Gary

20. azhelkov macrumors member

Hah. I surprise why so little responses. And none from people with credentials. From business point of view - Apple took old product, added BTO option and claimed it is a new product - how stupid is this? But I don't believe in that kind of corporate stupidity, especially coming from Apple.

21. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Yep, the cats out of the bag. You have figured out Apple. You win 999 lives!

22. azhelkov macrumors member

How this suppose to help?