Two Dozen eMacs

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Southern Dad, May 22, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Picked up 25 eMac. All but one work. Since I already have a dozen, that means that I know have 37 eMacs. Now, I have to figure out what to do with them. Any suggestions? Coupon printing is a given and I'll be doing that but surely there has to be an additional use for them. Several working flat screen monitors, too.

My DD11 will get to have a learning experience as she reloads the operating system and does all the updates.

Attached Files:

2. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Start a distance learning center?

Mine for bitcoin?

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Thats a TON of Mac! Jealous of the Cinema displays :)

4. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

You could find all the ones that are in good working order, and those that aren't, try to fix them and you can sell them for $50 a piece, on Craigslist or Kijiji or eBay. If you sell them all, you could get $1,850.

5. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh. I'm not sure 'learning experience' is quite the term I'd use. Is that Darling Daughter #2, or Darling Daughter aged 11?

6. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

$50 a piece? They've got to be worth more than that... Maybe $75?

7. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

$50-100, I was making a suggestion. Now that I think about it, the condition of the machine, the internal hardware it has and its installed software should be taken into consideration.

It's just that the machines do look dated, with the large housing and the CRT monitors. I could be totally wrong about this, but people might not want to pay a relatively large amount of money for them.

8. benvw99 macrumors member

benvw99

9. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

You're quite sane.

How about installing dodgy copies of Adobe CS, Final Cut, Logic Pro, MS Office etc on them and putting them on eBay for $200 each?

BARGAIN!!! COMES WITH A GAZILLION DOLLARS OF SOFTWARE!!!! (disks not included) etc etc etc...

10. 556fmjoe, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

556fmjoe macrumors 65816

You could get in touch with Johnny Long at Hackers For Charity. and see if they need any. H4C provides technological support for charities that can't afford it and they are always looking for usable hardware that charities can use. In many 3rd world countries, those eMacs would be top of the line equipment and would be appreciated.

edit: Defcon presentation about the program and about Johnny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILMRE29_dtE

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

This is the correct answer, obviously.

12. Southern Dad, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Darling Daughter aged 11, Learning Experience, Free Labor… What's the difference?

Several cinema displays but they are ADC connector. I do have a few G5s around somewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Selling them isn't really in my plan. My DD11 has several friends who don't have computers. While I haven't checked the specs on all of them, they seem to have DVD drives. We are thinking about having a few of them over to help format the hard drives, reload the operating systems and do the updates. Then letting them each have one. They don't get to keep their school issued iPads in the summer.

I've got a couple dozen colored iMac G3s. Those I want to make into fish tanks. Maybe a eMac fish tank, too. Operating systems aren't a problem. I've got boxes of Tiger and Panther in a closet somewhere.

13. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Maybe......Craigslist might get you that if you wait for the right buyer. They go for a couple of dollars on Ebay because shipping is so expensive. I bought a working eMac on Ebay for $1.50 with shipping additional. The fact of the matter is that most of the eMac machines are worth less than PMG4, which can be bought for around $15 plus shipping on Ebay. And there is less demand for them than the iMac G3 as they are less collectable. Add that to the fact that PPC machine prices on Ebay have been trending down for about a year and you have a machines that shoud be worth more because of the specs and SW/HW, but in reality sells for less. Right now on Ebay (I just did a search) there are several eMac's with no bids ending under 10 hours and trying to sell for $42 or more. Then there is an eMac with 1 bid and 13 hours left and it is currently at $0.99 and no reserve.

I would turn them into a lab, donate them to a church/school that needs a lab.

14. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm not even considering selling them. This isn't about the money. It's amazing how many of these things are still out there, working.

15. tampasteve macrumors 6502

You are correct. A middle school near me still uses them in some of the classrooms for the teachers. They do not buy new desktop machines, only laptops, so a teacher wants a desktop that is what they have usually.

They really were good, solid, machines - they still are!:apple::apple:

16. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Sorry, coupon printing? Am I missing something?

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depending on the speeds, you get Leopard on there. If so you can sell them for a good price. There is no reason to have 37 eMacs, maybe 25 or 30, but not 37. That is a little bit excessive, but the power company will be perfectly happy to charge you as such.

Sell the displays. If you have a 20 or 23" PM me please!

18. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The TOS for printing internet printable coupons is two coupons per computer that you own. :rolleyes:

19. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Awesome find, one of these days I'd love to fill the back of my truck up with a bunch of Macs!

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Free labor. I mean unpaid internship.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • 1a.jpg
      1a.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  21. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you test the displays? How's the eMacs coming?

22. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm using the eMacs as a teaching tool right now. The displays have to wait until Monday. I need a G5 that I know works for testing them.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Great job getting them setup. Do you know what is wrong with the eMac that doesn't work?