Two drive RAID enclosure, Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingobiatch, Feb 22, 2014.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

Looking to buy a two drive RAID enclosure that is Thunderbolt for my new Mac Pro (would be putting two Samsung 840 1TB SSD's in it)....

I can't seem to find anything that isn't a four or more drive bay, or that has drives already in it..

2. MCAsan, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I use a refurbished LaCie "Little Big Disk" Thunderbolt from MacMall ... I removed the original hard disks and replaced them with SSDs. You can sell or use the hard disks you remove.

A bit more $$$, there is the Akitio Neutrino Thunder Duo Enclosure which works well.

http://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/neutrino-thunder-duo

These both use Apple software RAID.

4. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible to use a Drobo mini in a configuration with three drives, where two drives are RAID0, and one drive is by itself?

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?ab...onoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=thunderbolt

I have one of these with two 250GB Samsung 840 EVOs. Works very, very well. Virtually silent (very small cooling fan). Comes with a .5m Thunderbolt cable.

I get 570MB/sec write and 650MB/sec read per Blackmagic disk benchmark.

It's the same as the Akitio drive linked above

----------

No. Drobo uses all drives without configuration options.

6. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

Some stores are clearing out the WD My Book Duo Thunderbolt. I picked up a 4 GB (2 X 2 TB WD Green drives) for $269. The box can be set up as JBOD, Raid 1 or Raid 0. Everything is functioning fine though the drives are the slowest in the read/write chain. Likely I will replace the drives in a few years with 4TB WD Red drives.

7. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Shouldn't you be getting significantly higher write and read than that? I thought the Samsung 840 EVO drives had read/writes of ~500 with just a single one... in RAID0, it should be running almost twice the speed, no?

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I was getting 750MB/sec when I had them set up as a two-channel USB 3.0 RAID. I think this enclosure isn't the fastest possible, but it's inexpensive.

Plus the EVO RAID is about 50% full.

And the drive is on a Thunderbolt bus with several other drives. And my machine only has TB1, not TB2.

9. dingobiatch thread starter macrumors member

Wait. You are using it as USB3 or Thunderbolt? And when you said the original 570/650 numbers, was that RAID0?

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Before I got the TB enclosure, I was using each 840 EVO in a separate USB3 enclosure tied together in a RAID 0 (each drive on its own USB3 bus). That got something like 750MB/sec or so (don't recall exact numbers off hand and I'm not home to look them up). Very fast. USB3 is a pretty impressive protocol.

Then I got the TB enclosure I linked above and popped the two drives in to it. At first I was getting the 570/650 numbers I reported, but subsequently it's been benchmarking at around 650 write and 715 read - so much, much better. I think perhaps I benchmarked it at first with some other activity on the same TB bus that I didn't notice was occurring.

The Monoprice/Akitio enclosure is TB-only (though does have two ports so you can daisy chain off it).