Two easy ones for the gurus...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glashoppah, Oct 8, 2010.

1. glashoppah macrumors newbie

Just replaced my PC with a Mac and need to know:

1. How do I designate certain software to always run when I log in? How about when the machine is booted (prior to log in)?

2. How do I cause OS X to automatically mount file server shares when they're needed?

I am very familiar with UNIX operation, but I have to believe there are nice pretty Apple ways to do this stuff.

Thanks,

G.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

1. Auto-launch applications: System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items

2. Define "when needed." You'll likely need to reconnect though, but under the Apple menu > Recent Items, it will list recent servers as well for easy access.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If you want the file server mounted automatically after a reboot, you can drag the server's icon to Login Items, as well.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can also right click on the apps icon on the dock and choose Open at login from there.

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Could you explain what specific software you'd want to run before login?

6. glashoppah thread starter macrumors newbie

None currently, but I might have some in the future.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm running a NAS and the disks are set to spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity. I'm finding that when that happens, the Mac loses the mount and I have to manually reconnect (by clicking the resource) to re-mount the share. This is bothersome, I'm guessing that if I reconfigured the NAS to leave the drives active this problem would go away...? Any other potential solution?

G.