Two Expresses from a switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marc11, Jan 31, 2013.

1. marc11 macrumors 68000

Right now I have a cable modem/wifi in my house; but the coverage in a few areas is not great. I have run a network cable from my upstairs where the cable modem router is to my basement for future use.

The future is now...

My entertainment center has the following all working off of wifi in addition to a variety of laptops, idevices, etc:

Xbox
    Wii
    Sat Box with Ethernet
    Smart TV with Wifi/ethernet
    Apple TV

I would like to hardwire all these devices, so my idea was to buy an 8 port gigbit ethernet switch and install it at the entertainment center and hardwire everything. I would then like to run two network cables from the switch to two Airport Expresses I have and extend the network giving them the same SSID and password as the cable wifi.

One Express would go in the basement to improve the wifi in the basement and run a second one out into my garage to wire in a second Apple TV and provide better wifi in the garage.

Does anyone see any reason why connecting the two Expresses via the network switch would not work?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

None whatsoever. You would need to disable DHCP though, but that's easily done. You just have to turn "Connection Sharing" to "Off (Bridge mode)" in AirPort Utility for each of your Expresses and give them both the same SSID name and password as your modem/router.

3. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep I knew I had to turn DHCP and connection sharing off; great to know there would be no conflicts. Going to be nice to have strong wifi around the house and an Apple TV for TV/Music while working in my garage.

Appreciate the advice.