Two external mirrored monitors - MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazylegsmurphy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Hey All,

I have been looking around for a bit here, but I can't figure out what I need to get.

In a few months I will be setting up a booth at a comic convention and I would like to have two monitors running on the table to showcase the art.

I have a 17" MBP Unibody with one external 24" monitor via the mini-DV - DVI cable. I would like to attach another 24" as well.

These two monitors only have to mirror what I am doing on the screen so I just need a cheap solution.

Does anyone have any idea of what I would need to make this work?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

Took me 2 seconds to google and find this

4. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thanks for the information. I of course could "google" as well, but I don't know if that will work.

Perhaps the time it took you to remind me of the rules we could have had a discussion about whether this would actually work or not. Just sayin.

I appreciate you taking the time to look though.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Took even less time to copy and paste rules, people often wont reply on easy answers. DVI split should work, since its just splitting the signal you just get double the output of what is being sent, whether it be mirror or separate.

6. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems like an easy answer, but when I was looking through reviews and such last night it seemed that depending on the computer the signal would either get split, or one monitor would be blank.

Being that I don't have any way of testing this mac without actually getting a cable, I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with this or knew technically if it were possible.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Its possible, but as cheap as it is i would try it out anyway. The only other alternative is using something like a usb vid card or express slot vid card, that way you would be 1:1 monitor to vid card. But honestly, this isnt exactly a normal/practical application that everyone uses, most people want 2 independent screens, so finding someone who has the same setup may be hard.

From what i saw, as long as its dual link DVI it will work, i know it would work on mine, but im not sure if the Mini to dvi is dual link.