Two Factor Authorization turned on by itself after Sierra 10.2.2

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by brunozs, Dec 13, 2016.

1. brunozs macrumors member

So, after updating macOS this morning, Apple decided to turn on two factor authorization without my permission, and in order to turn it off I'll have to change my password.

Thank you, Apple
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2016 ---
    Way to go after silently turning on iCloud "optimization" disk. Twice.

Dam I love macOS Sierra

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

are you sure no one else has access to your account ?

3. brunozs thread starter macrumors member

Yes, im sure. Let's be honest, Apple never was the gold standard when it comes to cloud services (we all remember Mobile Me) and Sierra has a bunch of little annoyances concerning its iCloud integration, which have been brought to attention by blogs like 9to5.

I can be wrong but it feels like Apple might just be pushing unfinished software. I don't remember having such slob issues when OS X wasn't a yearly update.

4. tomviolence macrumors member

I’m experiencing the same discomfort. Not until I updated macOS Sierra on my girlfriend’s computer did I notice there was a ‘Configure later’ option when it asked to activate Two-Factor Authorization.

So now I have:
    • Three security questions which I’d better not forget the answers to.
    • E-mail whenever I login somewhere “new”, like the browser on my computer where I’m already logged into.
    • Touch IDs.
    • Two-Factor Authorization password.

What’s next?
    • Voice Authorization?
    • Eye Scan?
    • Urine Sample?

5. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I really cannot understand this pointless ranting.

• Security questions are completely normal, you'll probably never need them anyways if you're able to remember your password(s)
    • TouchID isn't a problem at all
    • Two Factor Auth is for YOUR OWN security as well as the previously mentioned actions
    • There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing passwords from time to time

Use 1Password which is free for iOS and you can store all your passwords and security questions in there and have them at hand anytime.

The only point I can understand is that macOS surely shouldn't turn on/off functionality by itself but again all the mentioned actions are for personal security.

6. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

There are no security questions if you have enabled two factor authorisation.

7. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Even better. Forgot to mention that.

8. Planey28 macrumors 6502

How dare they help you to keep your account secure.

9. tomviolence macrumors member

10. midnightcapybara macrumors newbie

You won't have security questions if you turn on Two-Factor Authentication. You will if you turn it off.

11. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

12. brunozs thread starter macrumors member

Point is, it was shoved down my throat. Never had any security problems, didn't need another inconvenience.

Just like the "optimization" storage. Do not want it. There's just no excuse for deleting my files nor uploading them to the Cloud without my permission.

13. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

macOS has never turned on "Optimize Mac Storage" after I turned it off, even after updating. I don't see how it could turn on Two-Factor Authentication without asking you for a trusted phone number. Though the option to enable it is usually on by default, same with iCloud Desktop and Documents.

14. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I used Two-Factor Authentication until I had to change something and the text messages just wouldn't bloody arrive. I'd press "re-send" ten times, finally get one code and be told that this code has unfortunately expired (can't remember the exact wording). Well done, Apple.

15. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Because each time you requested a new code the previous one expired.

16. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Because each time I requested a new code it didn't arrive. :/ I never had this problem with two-factor authentication on any other device/service/piece of software. If I have to wait a minute I get impatient. With Apple I'd request the code ten times within an hour and get one which was already expired. And it's not like I just had to be patient because the remaining nine simply never arrived.