Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I happen to notice at the bottom of Password & Security under Apple ID in Settings, "Recovery Key" which is turned off. It says if I turned it on it will increase security. Anybody how this works? Is this new for iOS 14? I recall reading that Two-Step (not Two-Factor) automatically issued a Recovery Key.

Btw, how is Two-Factor better than Two-Step? I don't think you can even choose Two-Step, just curious how Two-Factor is better. Now, we can add a Recovery Key to Two-Factor.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Two factor imo is basically the same thing as two step, as you still need two steps to verify you are you.

If recovery key is a thing, I might start consider using it. Before that, I consider 2FA a ticket to hell when I need access to my account but don’t have access of both factors, or one of the two factors are permanently lost. 2FA should make sure only I have access to my account all the time, not the other way around.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Two factor imo is basically the same thing as two step, as you still need two steps to verify you are you.

If recovery key is a thing, I might start consider using it. Before that, I consider 2FA a ticket to hell when I need access to my account but don’t have access of both factors, or one of the two factors are permanently lost. 2FA should make sure only I have access to my account all the time, not the other way around.
Good point . . . I have multiple Apple devices, but what people who just have an iPhone, which is typical. Also, getting a text as second factor isn't that safe, according to what I read.

The thing is, Recovery Key isn't something that has been publicized much at all.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
A recovery key is a 28-character code that you can use to help reset your password or regain access to your Apple ID. While it’s not required, using a recovery key improves the security of your account by putting you in control of resetting your password. Creating a recovery key turns off account recovery. Account recovery is a process that would otherwise help you get back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password.

Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently. With that in mind, it's important to keep your recovery key in a safe place. You might want to give a copy of your recovery key to a family member, or keep copies in more than one place. That way you always have your recovery key when you need it.

Reactions: Luba

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
So it's Recovery Key vs. Account Recovery, from what I read you can't do both, you must choose one, and sounds like default is Account Recovery. What's the downside of Account Recovery except it's a time consuming process in that Apple makes you wait as a security precaution. The downside of the Recovery Key is that somebody steals and gets access to your Recovery Key?

Last edited:

planteater

Cancelled
Feb 11, 2020
I’d like to see a third option—account ownership by registering two forms of government ID with Apple. The account should be tied to your legal identify.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In my opinion, it is a good idea to turn on the recovery key aspect on your account. Besides making your account more secure, it will help you from getting locked out of your account, if you don't have access to any iOS devices and you can't remember your password etc. The recovery key will save you from having to contact Apple and wait on them to determine if you are who you say you are, and decide if they will unlock your account.

The downside to activating the recovery key is if you lose it, you could potentially end up locked out of your account.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
In my opinion, it is a good idea to turn on the recovery key aspect on your account. Besides making your account more secure, it will help you from getting locked out of your account, if you don't have access to any iOS devices and you can't remember your password etc. The recovery key will save you from having to contact Apple and wait on them to determine if you are who you say you are, and decide if they will unlock your account.

The downside to activating the recovery key is if you lose it, you could potentially end up locked out of your account.
With Recovery Key set up, can you also unlock your account with another of your iOS devices?

MacAudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Metro New York
In unlocking my account I tried this and it will not send to my other devices. It said to continue on your Mac. At the Mac is said to continue on another device, iPhone did not get it. For some reason it signed me out of my iCloud account across all of my units. Apple support said that I have to wait on a link before I can reset it. 4 days and still nothing. What do I do now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.