Two Failed HDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sheppy1, Dec 6, 2014.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows if the following could he caused by using a HDD in an optical drive caddy.

So I have the 2011 MBP and swapped out the optical drive with a HDD caddy. I put an 8 month old Samsung hard drive in there and within a week or failed on me. It simply couldn't he detested by my Mac or by any other laptop.

I then bought a brand new WD HDD, I put this in the same bay and within a month it is now failing on me with the SMART checks saying it needs to be replaced now!

Is this a coincidence or could it be caused by having the drives in the optical bay caddy?

Thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

COULD be just a coincidence with two different drive failures.
    I would suspect your caddy first. Some cheap imports can be flaky.
    Did you try the "failed" hard drives in an external enclosure? Be sure to try that before you decide the hard drives are truly failed.
    If the hard drives are actually still good, then you can guess that your caddy is not good.

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yeah I took the original one out of the drive bay and put it in an external caddy and tried that in my Mac and windows machine, definitely dead. The other is just showing SMART issues as I said, haven't tried that in a caddy yet. WD are replacing it under warranty.

Just not wanting to put another in the drive bay if it is actually causing the problems..

4. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I really doubt it's the caddy, sounds like coincidence. The platter spins inside the original casing so there's really no way the caddy could affect that. Stuff happens, I had a maxtor drive fail one time and then their replacement failed.

You cold always get a different caddy and use it just to make yourself feel better, but I doubt that is the problem.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Are you moving your Mac around a whole bunch while using it? Ie are you using it at a desk or on your lap?

On Mac's with hard drives there is a built-in Sudden Motion Sensor designed to detect movement and park the drives read heads - thus preventing damage to the drive. However, it does not function on drives in the optical bay, only the primary drive bay. In some cases the hard drive itself will have a builtin sensor that provides the same function - but not all hard drives come with it.