two finder windows looking at same folder. how do i sort them differently?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevelam, Aug 8, 2012.

1. stevelam macrumors 65816

the problem is i want to be able to sort a directory of files independent of the second finder window (which is also looking at the same directory). this doesn't work at all though as clicking 'name' or 'date modified' in one finder window also changes it on the other finder window.

i tried 3rd party finder software like xtrafinder and totalfinder but neither address this issue. is there any 3rd party finder addon that can do this?

running ML.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe the sort attributes are assigned to the folder itself, no matter what Finder window is used to view the folder. That's why you can sort a folder a particular way, then come back later to view the folder and it's sorted the same way as when you last viewed it, even if you've changed the sort order for other folders.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But, if you right click in a folder and choose "Arrange By", selecting a different arrangement (call it #2) then close the window, then you reopen the folder in a new window, it will display arrangement #1. That's because you didn't change it "permanently". To have it open in arrangement #2, you must change it in Show View Options.

A workaround to your question: Make a completely new folder and copy the contents to it from the first folder. Now you'll be able to view folder #1 in arrangement #1 and folder #2 in arrangement #2. This will be a pain: if you change the contents of the folder, you'll have to update the other one; if the folder has lots of stuff in it, it will take awhile to copy it all.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

On Snow Leopard (I don't know if this changed in Lion or ML):
    1. I open a folder in a Finder window, where the contents are sorted by Name.
    2. I right-click and "Arrange by" > "Date Modified"
    3. I close the Finder window
    4. I open a new Finder window, and navigate to the same folder
    5. The contents are still sorted by Date Modified.
    Right-clicking and using "Arrange by" is the same as clicking on a column heading.

5. stevelam thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks. i guess this isn't doable which is a shame.

gregg2: yah duplicating a folder would work but that wouldn't be ideal at all. thanks for the suggestion anyway.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Why are you using two finder windows to look at the same folder ?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

My bad. That's how it works in Leopard. I forget that everyone else has moved on. I will too, sooner or later. I rather like the option to change it temporarily, and not have to do anything to change it back.