Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
I've got a 12-inch powerbook.

Two finger scrolling on the track-pad works great, except for one spot:
on the NY Times front-page (nytimes.com) there's a window toward the bottom where video clips are displayed. Note that I'm not starting the video -- just going over the window where it would be displayed.

In Safari
I scroll down into that window, using two fingers
Suddenly down-scrolling stops working.:confused:
Curiously, up-scrolling still works

I can navigate out of the window using one-finger and now down-scrolling works again. By the way, if I scroll through the window before the (still)image in it loads, there's no problem. I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have this oddity.

edit: ok, I get exactly the same behavior with the scroll wheel on my Logitech mouse on my PowerMac.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
When the scrolling stops is the mouse pointer over some Flash content or (you may have to look at the source) an iframe? I get this on these sorts of elements as they trap the scroll event for themselves but as the content size matches the viewport size no scrolling occurs.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
apachie2k said:
if it's a video, your actually scrolling through the video, fastfowarding, rewinding

Possibly, but it could be that the video is in another frame and he's actually scrolling the frame rather than the whole front page. Two-finger scrolling is quirky like that.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
robbieduncan said:
When the scrolling stops is the mouse pointer over some Flash content or (you may have to look at the source) an iframe? I get this on these sorts of elements as they trap the scroll event for themselves but as the content size matches the viewport size no scrolling occurs.

Yup, there's an advert like that on the front page in Macrumors too.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah alot of the simple google ads hang up the 2 finger scrolling and the ads on engadget hang up my scrolling also even with a regular mouse.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
It seems to be a Safari-only thing. Two-finger scrolling there works fine from Firefox, but from Safari it doesn't, and also I get the same symptom from the mouse scroll wheel on my Powermac. Scrolling up is fine; scrolling down doesn't work.

There does seem to be underlying Javascript, but the video just waiting to play, not playing.

http://www.nytimes.com. Scroll down a bit to find the Video area I'm talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.