Two-Finger Scrolling works on old PBooks & iBooks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
It's just a matter of time before something like this surfaces. Like we all assumed, Apple's trick is software-based. Many PowerBook users would be happy to see this. Now the only thing that makes their PB's "obsolete" is Bluetooth 2.0, and that's a non-issue because nobody uses BT 2.0 yet.

Comment

Dr. Cheesesteak

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
Wow! Thanks for this. I was looking into buying Sidetrack but I guess I can hold onto that money now. Works great on my iBook.

Anyone know how to create a little script to load this driver on startup? I know nothing about AppleScript and probably shouldn't have even been poking around in the terminal to get this working... but I had to try.

I know I could replace the Apple driver permanently but I'd rather not in case I do run into issues with this in the future.

Comment

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I've already got Sidetrack installed on my PB so am a little wary about adding another 'hack'. However this implementation does sound a lot cooler, doubt I'll be able to hold out for much longer but any more reports from people who've tested this hack out?

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
munkle said:
I've already got Sidetrack installed on my PB so am a little wary about adding another 'hack'. However this implementation does sound a lot cooler, doubt I'll be able to hold out for much longer but any more reports from people who've tested this hack out?
You will have to uninstall Sidetrack, as it makes this hack unavailable.

Comment

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
stoid said:
You will have to uninstall Sidetrack, as it makes this hack unavailable.
I figured as much but am still a little wary...but anything to make my PB feel newer! The things we do to keep up with the Jones's :p

Comment

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
Just to post my experience:
I just installed it today on my rev C 12" Powerbook and so far no problems. I opted to do the permanent install and I, of course, backed up the original AppleACBMouse.kext file (or whatever it was called) then following a restart, it works like a charm. The only thing missing is a preference pane to tweak how it handles.....

Comment

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
It is BOTH software and hardware

People seem soooo confused about this. YES, Apple is using new hardware on the new powerbooks. Normally Synoptics makes trackpads for pretty much every laptop, including Apple. But now Apple is making the new ones in house and they run off USB instead. But a trackpad is a trackpad, there really is not much difference hardware wise for the new one. That is why the old driver that is open source and has been around since 2000 was able to be edited and perform right. The only problem, and it is negligable, is that the new USB trackpads Apple uses run more smoothly for the scrolling. I installed this hack on my powerbook and use rotational scrolling, like an ipod, and it works great. It only does not perform well when I move my fingers slowly, and it jerks. The new trackpads fix that. So yes Virginia, there is new hardware, but that doesn't matter.

Comment

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Discovered this on del.icio.us today... Easy hack, lovely functionality.

Comment

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
being unexperienced with macs i wonder if someone could clarify something for me.

this hack wont actually damage any hardware components within an ibook/pb will it? sorry if that sounds stupid, but i get nervous when the word hack is used!

Comment
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.