Two finger tappers: how long did it take you to get used to it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ish, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I was used to two finger scrolling on my PB and now I've got my new MBP:D I've been trying two finger tapping instead of ctrl tap. Haven't got the hang of scrolling without opening the contextual menus yet though.

I noticed one or two people said in posts that the same thing happens to them. Is it something you get used to and doesn't happen after a while? I'm not heavy handed or anything.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I assume you're talking about a right-click equivalent? That's the two finger-click. Took me about, oh, three seconds. Perfectly natural.

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Yes, that's what I mean. And the two finger clicking is easy, but when it's turned on I can't scroll without setting off the two finger clicking.

4. sportsnut macrumors regular

About an hour after I got my blackbook, the next day I found myself trying to scroll on my old windows lappy trackpad.

5. ksa macrumors newbie

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Maybe we're not entirely on the same page, but two-finger scrolling doesn't involve a click (though I do forget about the scroll feature all the time...).

Just gotta watch where your thumb is, I guess.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

8. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

To explain a bit further, I always use a tap on the trackpad rather than using the button and use two fingers to scroll. Under Keyboard and Mouse there's an option to tick for "tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click". My problem is that if I do that, when I use two fingers to scroll, my fingers on the trackpad register as a secondary click rather than the beginning of a scroll.

This trackpad feels a bit different from my old one.

9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Probably less than 10 minutes. It's a great feature. :)

10. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

lol. I still do that whenever I'm using a Windows laptop. the 2-finger tap has become a necessity for me. As long as you don't lift your fingers off the pad once you've touched it, you're scrolling...butter.

11. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

It will be a great feature when I can stop setting it off accidentally!

Do you think some trackpads are more sensitive than others? My last one was fairly smooth (though I might just have worn it that way) while this one is just slightly rougher than the casing.

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

It is mostly important to remember to not lift your fingers when you place them on the pad for scrolling. I have never had the issue of right clicking when trying to scroll, but I have pretty well trained my hand to do it correctly (or properly, or safely... you know whatever)

I too find myself trying to do it on almost every windows machine I get on... drives me nuts when I can't do it :)

13. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

the first minute for me....really easy to get used too;):D

14. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I don't use 2-finger tap (on the trackpad), as I set it off accidentally too often. Plus, I don't see how it's any easier than 2-finger click (on the button)...

15. likeavaliant macrumors regular

here's a tip:
    when you are wanting to scroll, dont tap and lift your fingers right away!
    gently place two fingers on the trackpad and brush them whichever way you want to scroll :)

16. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I love it, the problem is when I go to use someone elses 'pc' laptop and cant figure out how to use a it normally.

I always use my middle and ring finger to scroll and right click. They rest naturally on the trackpad and use the index finger when moving the cursor.

- James

17. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Looks like practice makes perfect. I'll try coming in from a shallow angle for a while and see what happens. It's when a scroll is a bit longer than the trackpad and you have to come back for another scroll that it happens.

I know what you mean about trying to scroll on a Windows machine. A similar thing applies when setting up an Apple laptop. Its not something I do very often and then I sit there and wonder if it's frozen or something and belatedly realise that I have to click instead of tap.

18. rockaceone macrumors newbie

amazing

So glad I found this thread! I didn't even realize any of these new features existed. I was just using my new Macbook like my old Ibook: no scroll, no right click. Amazing little feature. Thanks.:D

19. quinters macrumors newbie

tots

every time i touch a non-mac touchpad i go crazy. I 2-finger scroll/tap constantly.

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

No time at all! Great feature I wish was easily apple implemented on older models I have still around.

21. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

yea dont use 2 finger click, use the button on the trackpad and you wont have issues accidentally doing it.

^ I think its more of a limitation of the trackpad than Apple being able to program it. Like how some keyboards cant recognize more than 3 key combinations, older trackpads may be limited to one point of input.

22. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

So glad it's not just me.. of all the things windows/pc's copy why havent' they copied this.

And yeah... took me 5 minutes to realize it was very efficient.

23. TheStu macrumors 65816

The most entertaining person was my friend that has had his MacBook Pro for about a year and a half now. He just realized about 2 weeks ago that you can move both fingers at once when scrolling. Before he was holding one finger stationary and then moving the other finger to scroll 'This is alright, and better than a scroll zone, but not superb or anything' was I think what he said. You should have seen him when he moved both the fingers and it worked.... practically burst a blood vessel he was so excited.

24. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

One of the first things I did when I got my MB, unintentionally of course, but 2nd nature ever since.

25. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

me too...takes much more time on other laptops...