"two hands" cursor on startup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by profBIll, Jun 16, 2008.

1. profBIll macrumors newbie

I started my MBP running 10.5.3 today. Apparently it had run low on batteries (I was following a thread on letting it sleep with the lid open to reduce the blinking front light. Guess it didn't work). It was 4% battery when it came up

Anyway, when it started I got two very odd behaviors:

- first, I got a "progress bar" on the white background I had never seen before
    - when it came up, the cursor was "two hands", like two hands gripping a bar.

It took awhile to come up, but then things were normal.

Anybody seen this before? I tried to search it, but "two hands" is a bad phrase.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

progress bar on a white background.. could you be a little more specific on where is actually is?

I have never heard of the two hands that you refer to, sounds interesting

3. profBIll thread starter macrumors newbie

When the mac came up, I got a blank white screen (no apple in the center, no circle with progress bars spinning around it).

Then, at the bottom quarter of the screen I got a series of upright ovals running from left to right, that filled in white over time (a progress bar).

System came up after the progress bar finished, but the cursor was two hands, literally two gloves of five fingers separated by a space. It remained the two-hand cursor until I logged in (I selected the login name with the two hands).

Then back to normal.

Very odd.

4. Xavier macrumors 68020

Yes, very odd indeed. I have never heard of this kind of an "error" if you can even call it that, as it seems to have corrected itself.

The only thing that i can think of as a progress bar on the beginning white screen is when there is a firmware update. When i update my firmware, I get a little progress bar at the bottom of my screen that fills in over time.

Nothing about the two hands though. I did a quick search to try and find out more about it, but couldn't find anything related. Very, very odd

Any thrid party stuff installed? (dont think its a big deal as, like i said and you said, it isnt a problem anymore)

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

The white progress bar on a greyscale screen (usually greyscale / white of what your desktop looked like before you closed the laptop lid) is what occurs when battery power is almost running out, and your laptop goes into deep sleep (where the state of your computer is not stored in RAM, but to the hard drive). This preserves the status of your computer in the event that the battery is completely drained. This is normal behavior.

Don't know about the cursor icon though.