Two hard drives + bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pub00515, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pub00515 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm about to install a second hard drive into a 2011 MBP (SSD).
    I'd like to install Windows on the SSD and keep MacOS on the internal drive. (I don't want to use Parallels)
    Is this possible - and if so, how?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sure it is. All you need is make a NTFS partition and install Windows on it.
    If you only have a Windows DVD you should install the SSD into the main bay and leave the superdrive in until you have Windows installed. Windows DVDs don't boot for some reason if they are plugged in by usb.
    After that is done you can do everything else anyway you want.

3. pub00515 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dusk,

thanks for the info!
    So once the SSD is installed, how do I tell my Mac to boot from the SSD?
    I guess by pressing Alt everytime. Any way to make it automatically boot from it?

4. pub00515 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

system preffererces, than i belive you should see a Startup Disk Icon

here you can pick the default startup to use

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

I installed a second SSD, I have my macOS on my 256SSD, and Windows on my 240 SSD, removed the superdrive and put it in an enclosure so I can still use it.

To get windows to install I started the bootcamp assistant, removed the Mac drive, swapped them out so I can still use the superdrive, installed Windows on the new drive, and then once the install was done I put the Mac drive back in the place where the superdrive was, now I got bootcamp and mac on two seperate drives... was a little work but tis awesome now.

7. vlug macrumors 6502

Im a noob mac user, so can someone explain what you are all doing with SuperDrive?

Why are you having to remove it to install a 2nd SSD? isnt Superdrive the optical drive? is it close to the SSD/HDD's or something to gain access to adding another SSD?

I was thinking of adding an extra SSD so I could have windows on one and Mac OSX on the other but dont want to lose my optical drive.

A I being totally thick?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

easiest way to explain it

the cable that makes the optical drive work, is the same conection a hard drive uses, so you replace the optical drive with a device knows as as optibay, this optibay is the same shape as the optical drive and fits a 2nd hard drive

9. vlug macrumors 6502

So do you lose your Superdrive/Optical Drive by installing a 2nd SSD?

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes

11. vlug macrumors 6502

Thats crap, thought you could run 2 SSD's and a SuperDrive in a an MBP.

Thanks for explaining.

12. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

you can still use your superdrive, just need to purchase an enclosure and it becomes an external superdrive.

13. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

if there were that much space left empty in the MBP case Apple would be doing something with it... like bigger battery, or selling you a 2nd hardrive from the factory.

14. vlug macrumors 6502

the 2011 MBP is getting a little old and with SSD storage and them being smaller I thought it might be possible to fit 2 SSD's in.

15. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

SSD's aren't smaller. They come in the same Form Factor of 2.5" drives as a regular hard drive.

16. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Sorry for resurrecting a three year-old thread, but my question is similar to OP's. I've got a SSD+Opti bay situation. My SSD is in the Opti-Bay, and the HDD is in the original drive location.

I want to install Windows to my SSD, and also partition some of the HDD for Windows applications. Is this possible? Do I just need to partition both drives (one for the OS and a part of the other for Windows applications) through Bootcamp assistant and the HDD in Disk Utility?

Thanks!

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. Though you might have quite a bit of trouble getting Windows to boot from an external device, I haven't personally tried it but haven't heard many success stories. YMMV.