Two Hardrive Failures in Two Weeks: Help Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Corrode, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks in advance for any help.

About a month ago I had a hard drive fail. 640GB WD 5400.

Get a replacement. Restore from Time Machine.

Two weeks later, my computer starts freezing, won't boot to login screen. I try to repair the disk. No dice. Can't be repaired.

So I clean install and use time machine to restore everything except applications. I manually reinstall those myself.

One week later, computer starts to stall again! Try to repair disk. No dice again.

WTF is wrong? Is it my hard drive again? It was just replaced. Please advise as I don't want to go through the pain of reinstalling everything only to have it fail again. Any help is appreciated below are some of the errors that came up while attempting to repair the hard drive.

Invalid sibling link
    Invlaid node structure
    Invalid record count
    Missing thread record 
    Incorrect number if thread records
    Incorrect number if file hard links
    Invalid directory item count
    Invalid
    Volume directory count
    Invalid file volume count
    Incorrect number of extended attributed
    Volume bitmap needs minor repair
    Invalid volume free block count
    Volume header needs minor repair
    Orphaned file inode
    Next ID I'm a hard link chain is incorrect
    The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired. 

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It sounds like the disks were defective.

Another possibility: aren't these drives the ones that need HDAPM applied to them? If so, you should try to get another replacement and apple HDAPM. Then see how you fare. :)

3. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There is no clicking or other noises associated with the drive so I don't think HDAPM is the answer. Anyone else have any other suggestions/opinions?

Could I really have two faulty drives?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

They build so many these days, QC has gone down the drain, it's entirely possible.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

How are you handling the drives? Are you taking precautions against ESD?

6. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Um, I think I'm handling them okay. I store them in their little anti-static bags but beyond that I don't really handle them.

I've recently (past month or so) noticed that I get a shock from my lappy when I first touch it after leaving my desk.

I almost always touch the file cabinet first, though, to prevent this.

What else can I do to prevent ESD?

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You shouldn't need to worry about ESD when handling your computer itself. When handling a hard drive during installation and/or removal, ground yourself by touching a grounded piece of metal before touching the drive, and then only handle the drive by touching the sides. Don't touch the underside of the drive if you can help it. You don't need to feel a shock in order to cause ESD damage.