Two HD RAID enclosure w/option of using only 1 drive ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dnadrifter, Jun 3, 2009.

1. dnadrifter macrumors member

Does any one know of a two hard drive enclosure that will house two drives capable of setting the drives up in a RAID 0, BUT also let you only put one drive in one of the slots if you want (non RAID).

I am looking for an external backup solution. Ideally I would just by a two drive RAID enclosure from macsales and then buy two 1TB drives. However, I don't really need 2TB of backup right now, but I likely will in a couple years. I would like to find an enclosure that would support both a single drive and a two drive RAID 0 setup, so I can grow into it without laying out the cash now.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

From a sample drive description:
    I guess this means you can put in one, and another one for later.

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

4. dnadrifter thread starter macrumors member

That was actually the enclosure I was planning on purchasing. When I called OWC though they said you had to have two in at the same time. You didn't have to have them configured as a RAID, but you both slots needed to be occupied.

I was also optimistic that the description said up to 2, but I guess it could be read as up to two 2TB drives rather than say two 1 TB drives, etc.

I asked the tech support guy several times and he was fairly adamant that both drives needed to be there.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Drobo does this. Can hold up to four drives. Just pop in drives to add storage without formatting.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Drobo is slow though..

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

You might want to look into ATA over Ethernet (AoE). ;)