Two HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimray, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jimray macrumors member

I have a 500GB in my 13" Early 2011, its not enough. If I could find a 2TB or even a 1.5 i'd just replace the one in there. But seems all i can find in my area are 1TB. I thought about a 128GB SSD and move the 500 over to the optibay, but I have apprehensions about SSDs this early in the game. That leaves me with the option to put a 1TB in the optibay. I have several externals, but I would like more without having to connect something.

What do you guys think? Two HDDs a good idea?

Side question, whats the best brand of HDD? I thought WD, but they seem cheaper than Seagates now.

Also, I have a 500GB Toshiba in my MBP now, and it seems louder then the defective 320 that apple swapped out for me. Is this Toshiba junk? I also noticed it doesn't have an apple symbol on the actual hard drive. Could this mean it doesn't have the Sudden Motion Sensor?

Thanks

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Seagates are nice and also are Hitachi and Samsung(these are the brands that apple use)

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm curious as to why you're apprehensive about using an SSD? Personally I've had a SSD/HDD setup in my MBP since last year without any issues (along with many others based on my experiences in the forums).

4. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

Absolutely not. Seagate have a terrible record on quality, as do Hitachi.

Also, what's the issue with SSD's? Early in the game? They are a mature technology.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not really early in the game for SSDs. They have a proven track record at this stage, are much faster then hard drives and you won't have to worry about the motion sensor in the optibay

6. jimray thread starter macrumors member

I've read that the SSD are unreliable, have a high rate if being defective out of the box, I've seen threads on here about SSD causing other problems too.

I'm starting to think that if I go the optibsy route I will void the warrenty. I'm only 6 months in and I'm considering the extended warrenty.

Starting to lean towards just swapping the 500 for the 1TB Hatschi. I've been reading good things about Hatachi, but then I noticed a negative comment about them in this thread.

This whole HD issue is starting to get frustrating.

7. jimray thread starter macrumors member

Well, what I really wanted was an SSD. But was nervous. But I went for it anyways. Picked up a 256 M4. Going to install it tonight. If i can't handle the space restraints, I'll do the optibay down the road.