Two Huge Problems - Display and Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kikobarbada, Jul 4, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Good morning.

I'm having two major problems with my Mac:

1. ViewSonic VX2235wm display. The internal speakers are not working and there is only a CD that doesn't come with any Mac drivers whatsoever.

2. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard. Everytime I start my machine again, the keyboard settings go back to the American but this keyboard keys are meant to be European.

Thanks a lot, Kiko.

2. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You shouldn't need drivers for speakers. They're just speakers. Do you have the speaker line plugged into the output (headphone) jack on your Mac?

4. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but I think something else is going on. If you could do a step by step for me.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

A step by step? How about you give us some more information, like for starters what kind of Mac you have. Unless there's something wrong with your monitor or your Mac, it doesn't get any simpler than this:

1. Plug speaker cable into Mac.
    2. Make sure speakers are turned on and volume is up.
    3. Play music.

What exactly are you expecting without giving us any information other than "it's not working"? What have you tried? Do the built-in speakers on your Mac work when the monitor's speakers are not plugged in? How is it hooked up, exactly? Details! We can't see your setup and we're not psychic!

6. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

It is a new Macbook connected to a DVi Viewsonic 22in display. The built-in volume of the Mac works and it is NOT the port that is not working, because when I put some headphones on the same port, it works. I am not sure how to turn speakers on though... is it just put the volume on? Also, on System preferences, the speaker shows up on Audio Output as Headphone but it doesn't play any sound whatsoever.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

That is MUCH more helpful. So it seems you've successfully narrowed down the problem to the monitor or perhaps the cable you're using for the audio to the monitor. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about how the speakers in that screen. Do you know where the control are for them? Is there a menu option somewhere in the display's on-screen controls that might disable the audio? Check the owner's manual to make sure you've got everything set the way you're supposed to on the monitor for the speakers to work.

8. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular