Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfurlin

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Here's the scenario:

A long, long, time ago when I made the switch from Win to Mac, I read an article that suggested setting up two iCloud accounts, one for mail, contacts, sync, etc. and one for iTunes purchases. So today i have the following:

xxxxxxxx@me.com for mail, calendar, contact, notes, todo, etc. and xxxxxxxx@gmail.com for purchases.

EDIT: Just realized I should clarify something. All my App Store purchases are on my gmail iCloud account as well.

I'd like to get rid of my @me account and start using the iCloud account with the gmail as the login for everything (except the @me email address, obviously).

Is there an easy way to do this without losing any sync data (I'm assuming all my sync including Desktop and Documents are going to the @me iCloud account).

Last edited:

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I don't think you can merge accounts but I would double check. One thing you could do is set up family sharing and that may serve your purpose.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't have a process or a way to merge icloud accounts, so you'll need to pick one and just use that.

Reactions: akash.nu

dangeng

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
I think it makes a lot of sense to have two accounts, one for the AppStore and one for iCloud. Mainly for security reasons!!

Anyway, if you still want to merge them I believe it could work as follows:
But I have to say I haven't tried it myself yet!!! So make sure you have a full backup of your phone and photo library etc.

At first you turn of each synced service individually, address book, notes, reminders, photos etc. The phone will ask you if you want to delete the data from your phone for each service... But you wanna leave it on your phone!! That's important!! You leave the data on your phone! As soon as you have all synced services deactivated you make another full backup.
Then you log out of iCloud and login with your other ID (Store ID or whatever) and then the data from your phone should sync to your new account!!

Again: I haven't tried it myself yet.

Have fun.
Dan
[doublepost=1491306710][/doublepost]Edit: the stuff from iCloud Drive (documents from pages, numbers and keynote) have to be transferred manually I think.

Last edited:

dangeng

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2015
I believe you are trolling yourself if you think that it is more secure.

Well, if you think so that's fine...

In order to hack an account you need two things, the email-address or user name of that account and the password.
If you have only one iCloud-account you have to share 50% of your account information (your user name or rather iCloud email address, hence Apple-ID) with all sorts of people...

In my case my iCloud-Apple-ID is only for iCloud, not shared with anyone!! If you share documents from Numbers or Pages with strangers this might be different but I don't use that!! If you share documents or use family sharing you'd probably have to use this Apple-ID. But again, I don't do that.

My store account is only for Apple and/or App Store purchases. Only this account has credit card information... Not shared with anyone except Apple.

A third Apple-ID is used for FaceTime and Messages and email only. Hence I give away this Apple-ID to all sorts of people...

It might be a little confusing at first and probably not even necessary anymore, since two-factor-authentication... but I really like the concept and it totally works for me...

Open for discussion!!

Cheers, Dan

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
Well, if you think so that's fine...

In order to hack an account you need two things, the email-address or user name of that account and the password.
If you have only one iCloud-account you have to share 50% of your account information (your user name or rather iCloud email address, hence Apple-ID) with all sorts of people...

In my case my iCloud-Apple-ID is only for iCloud, not shared with anyone!! If you share documents from Numbers or Pages with strangers this might be different but I don't use that!! If you share documents or use family sharing you'd probably have to use this Apple-ID. But again, I don't do that.

My store account is only for Apple and/or App Store purchases. Only this account has credit card information... Not shared with anyone except Apple.

A third Apple-ID is used for FaceTime and Messages and email only. Hence I give away this Apple-ID to all sorts of people...

It might be a little confusing at first and probably not even necessary anymore, since two-factor-authentication... but I really like the concept and it totally works for me...

Open for discussion!!

Cheers, Dan

Interesting idea. Just as a side note and not to refute anything you've said cause I have not thought that hard about it, you can set up "aliases" so that you can send iMessages or FaceTime calls from another email/username that is still under your main Apple ID.

So it will be like you have multiple phone numbers but they all go to either your iOS or macOS device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.