Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David2144

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I dropped my ipod and two small black squares fell off. It is located where the two removable gray plastic stuff are on both sides of the dock connector. Now my ipod doesnt turn on or even charge. Does anyone know what part this is?

David2144

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I hope this picture helps.

I got this picture of the 5g ipod's logic board and circled the two missing parts. I hope someone could help identify this part.

Attachments

• video-logic-board2.jpg
    video-logic-board2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 987

wpc33

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I lost the one on the right after beating up my 5G, years ago. It worked fine until the second one came off!
Perhaps it's some sort of resistor for the electricity.

Manzanubrio

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I lost the one on the right after beating up my 5G, years ago. It worked fine until the second one came off!
Perhaps it's some sort of resistor for the electricity.

What did exactly happen when the second piece came off?

alchoheal

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2009
I just had this happen to me 2 minutes ago

Can they be reattached or do i need a new logic board and a rugged case?

ipodgeeki

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Question

Hey guys, i know that this post is getting old but i was wondering if you could still shed some light on my problem.

My iPod video has this part broken off and it won't start because of it. I have it all ready to solder but when i tryed it would not stay on. Is there any way of reconnecting it?

And any way what are they?

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Hey guys, i know that this post is getting old but i was wondering if you could still shed some light on my problem.

My iPod video has this part broken off and it won't start because of it. I have it all ready to solder but when i tryed it would not stay on. Is there any way of reconnecting it?

And any way what are they?

Radio Shack used to sell an electrically conductive super glue that I have used in the past with SMDs (surface mount devices) and repairing battery chargers. (Several makes have the diodes glued onto a backplanes). I'll look for a source later this evening and post. (I am supposed to be working, not hiding out playing on my iPad.:D)

The devices in question appear to be inductors or impedance matching output transformers. I have never taken apart my 1st or third gen nano to look for them.

Update: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/b70c/#tabs

http://www.amazon.com/Chemtronics-CW2400-Tubes-Conductive-Epoxy/dp/B0000WSZC8/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

This should get you going, let me know how things work out.

Last edited:

ipodgeeki

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply

wow, I hardly thought anyone would reply to me but you did, Great.

So i am going to order some of the glue and try it out. I still have to sort out the contacts (as i messed them up while trying to solder them:))

Well i love taking things apart and re-soldering capacitors, mostly computers and screens, but now i have taken the challenge and i am fixing my old ipod and replacing the dock connector on my ipod touch.

well again thanks and i will get back to you once i have the glue and have tryed it out.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Cant really see too well in this picture. But that orange part leads me to believe it is an inductor.

Although, it does have some sort of screw head on top of it, in which case it should be a pot.

Can you get us some better pictures of the component?

ipodgeeki

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
MrWillie,

Hey there again. Sorry for the delay but got into some probs. So i have now got the Glue and have tried 5 times trying to get this thing back up and running but i will not. I is stuck on and it seems to be making a good connection it just doesn't turn on. Can you give me any advice?

Thanks

AR22

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
First of all you can't fix an electronic part with glue. You have to solder it and then stabilize it with glue to protect it from mechanical forces.
Second it’s definitely an inductor coil but I do not know its value. Mine iPod has the same problem both inductors are broken. But I could fix the right one close to the battery connector. Sadly I lost de left one. But it seems to work fine with just one.
The part dimension is 4.9x2.8mm H:4.2 and mine is marked with KJ
Does anyone know the value (?mH) of this inductor?

BarbG112

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
iPod 5g video - chips that fall off

I cannot find anything about those chips. They fell off of mine several times when I have accidentally dropped it even though it was inside a case that saves it from any cosmetic damage. I have just soldered them back into place and it has worked fine, until I dropped it again...

The last time I lost one of the chips when I opened the case. The only thing I can find to replace it is a dead logic board that I can use for parts:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Non-Working-iPod-Video-Logic-Board---Main-Board-Assembly-p-16942.html

I hope that helps. :eek:

David2144

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
bumping my thread cause I found my iPod yesterday and I wanna add a iFlash drive to it. Still need to get the two components replaced. They seem to be inductors. Does anyone know where I can get the part(s)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.