Two iMacs - difficulty calibrating screens

Discussion in 'iMac' started by latent, Sep 9, 2014.

1. latent macrumors newbie

HI

I have 27" Late 2013 iMac and a mid 2011 21" iMac.

I have calibrated both screens several times using both the Apple OS calibration tool and using a Pantone Huey One. Whichever option I choose to calibrate, images on the 21 inch 2011 Mac look darker.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Thank you

2. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Others may be able to shed more light but as far as I'm aware as you've got two different generations of iMac's which most likely uses two different panel types you will never get them to match up perfectly.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Different display panels will likely produce different results. Get them as close as you can, that's the best you can do.

4. carmona macrumors newbie

First of all, be aware that you can't calibrate them correctly with the Apple calibration tool, given that you do it with your eyes. Your eyes will perceive the colors of your display depending the ambient light situation.

So to calibrate correctly, you need a sensor like Spyder4.

Furthermore, you have to find out what backlight type your monitors are. If they're different (one LED-backlight and on CCFL) even a calibration with a sensor puck won't do, given that our eyes can only accomodate to one light source type.

So

1. Be sure you have two display with the same backlight type
    2. calibrate with a hardware sensor