two internet/airport problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mopppish, Jul 8, 2007.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Having two issues with internet at my girlfriend's apartment.
    She gets free internet from the rental company, so I don't know any specific info about the equipment or ISP.
    The first problem is that both her C2D Macbook and my C2D MBP (both last gen) will lose it's wired ethernet connection occassionally. We both plug straight into the wall jack when we're online, and every once in a while, the internet just stops responding. No beach balls, just the discouraging little partial nub of a blue bar in the URL space as it tries and fails to load a new page. When I pull up either of our network preferences, everything still looks OK. For some reason, creating another arbitrary network location and changing it whenever this happens (which consequently fetches a new ISP address) temporarily solves the problem, but it's a huge pain when trying to download or stream large files. It's very sporadic when it happens, sometimes taking only a few minutes, sometimes hours, but if we're on long enough, it happens without fail. Any ideas? I've already tried trashing my network prefs and creating a temporary new user account.
    The other problem is that whenever she is already plugged in and turns on her internet sharing for me to hop onto her airport (heh, that sounds kind of dirty), I can't maintain a connection (OK, that sounds quite dirty :p). My MBP will recognize her network and ask me if I want to connect to "Anna's computer", but the airport icon will constantly flash between full signal and no signal and never maintiains a connection. I've only gotten this to work once and it seemed like pure luck. However, whenever I'm the one plugged in and share my connection with her, she can get on just fine.
    Anyway, these problems are just becoming pains, so I figured I'd just see if anyone had any ideas.
    By the way, there's no encryption on the rental company's connection.
    Thanks.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Some routers are set up to only lease an IP for a fixed time. You can change it, but if you don't own the router then wouldn't be too easy.

[​IMG]

Anyone want to clarify this...? Bit of a gray area to be honest.