Two iOS devices restored from the same icloud backup

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iamPro, Dec 6, 2013.

1. iamPro macrumors regular

I'm having trouble with the safari tabs of my iPads not appearing in icloud tabs in any of my iOS devices (iphone tabs show fine).

I have an iPhone 5s, iPad mini 1st gen, and an iPad air. I want my iOS devices to sync with each other using icloud. It seems to work for most of what icloud syncs (contacts, calendar, etc.). However, I'm having trouble with icloud tabs.

I had no problems when I only had the iphone and ipad mini. Then I bought the ipad air, set up my new ipad air by restoring it from the most recent backup of my mini (obviously I want the same apps and icloud information being shared) and icloud tabs started to have problems.

Under icloud settings it shows,

My iPad 1.1GB (shows icon of my black mini)
    My iPad 1.1GB (shows icon of my white air)
    My iPhone 1.1GB (shows icon of my iphone)

as backups.

I'm guessing icloud is confusing the two ipads since they have the same backup name.

Is there any fix for this problem?
    Should I somehow backup/settup my ipad air to iTunes as a new device?

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I would just delete both back ups and perform new back ups on each iPad.

3. caesarp macrumors 6502a

When I bought an Air and restored from my ipad 3 backup, the Air had the same name as my ipad 3. You need to go into your settings and change the name of your new device. Just add Air onto the end of the name.

Its not the backup name, its the name of the device that is probably causing the confusion. Re-name the devices. Settings/General/About/Name

4. iamPro thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, this was the fix I was looking for. Unfortunately, the problem still exists even after changing the device names.

I tried logging out and in of my iPads' icloud accounts, rebooting, removing safari from the background, etc... None fixed the problem.

If anything, the type of icloud tabs that are visible on my iPhone would randomly change between tabs on my Air and Mini whenever I log out and log in of icloud from both my iPads. It's almost as if icloud tabs only works between two iOS devices not more.

5. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Did you try deleting the icloud backups for each device?

Settings/icloud/storage&backup/manage storage/[device name]/delete backup

Do that for all 3 devices.

Don't worry. You can then make new backups right away. That should reset everything and allow proper synching via icloud.

6. iamPro thread starter macrumors regular

I know its been a while. Unfortunately, this didn't work as well.