Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
The black looks richer to me..and if it looks that obvious in a motion blurred iphone photo I'd guess its more pronounced in person.

The white seems to suffer from the same problem my black does, washed out.

I think we are seeing dual display manufacturers or variance, not sure it would've been worth a return but I do see a difference, look at the reds and greens.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
TS, can you please enter your serials at the link below and report the production weeks and factories? Also, where your devices were manufactured (should be on the back of your ipad).

Mine is week 42, factory F4, manufactured in China. My screen has a pinkish tint from certain angles on a black background. Also, the sepia background theme in iBooks also appears plain white at certain angles.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
The black looks richer to me..and if it looks that obvious in a motion blurred iphone photo I'd guess its more pronounced in person.

The white seems to suffer from the same problem my black does, washed out.

I think we are seeing dual display manufacturers or variance, not sure it would've been worth a return but I do see a difference, look at the reds and greens.

Yup exactly my impression; the black is richer in person. Its definitely more pronounced in person - the iPhone photo does not do it justice. I think I am going to call up Apple and see if they can do an exchange. It would be a PITA to drive 2 hrs to an Apple store to do get it swapped, so I am hoping they can take care of me with a mail in replacement.

----------

TS, can you please enter your serials at the link below and report the production weeks and factories? Also, where your devices were manufactured (should be on the back of your ipad).

Mine is week 42, factory F4, manufactured in China. My screen has a pinkish tint from certain angles on a black background. Also, the sepia background theme in iBooks also appears plain white at certain angles.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

White 64GB:
2012, Week 41 (October)
Factory F4
Back of iPad states Made in China

Black 32GB:
2012, Week 40 (October)
Factory F4
Back of iPad states Made in China

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
do either show a pink tint on a black background at sharp angles?

edit: by sharp i mean with your eye almost level to the device.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I preordered a black and a white they came from different places. White came ups black came fedex. However I haven't got to compare them as they are both gifts so they are both still sealed.

You only have a 14 day, no reason necessary, return period. It would be my humble suggestion to open those boxes now. By Christmas, your only recourse for return is a defect, and then they will only do an exchange and not a refund.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
This is the first test I perform.

Go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

To see bar 1 you may just need to turn up the screen brightness a bit, but the real tale of the tape is if the rightmost bars are merged together. If they are, you got a bad one. A good display will show all 32 individual bars that make up each color band. One with poor contrast or reduced gamut will not. You can also look at the colors and tell if the panel's white balance is good (e.g., red should not look orange).

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
This is the first test I perform.

Go here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

To see bar 1 you may just need to turn up the screen brightness a bit, but the real tale of the tape is if the rightmost bars are merged together. If they are, you got a bad one. A good display will show all 32 individual bars that make up each color band. One with poor contrast or reduced gamut will not. You can also look at the colors and tell if the panel's white balance is good (e.g., red should not look orange).

wonder how accurate this is? mine came out ok :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have the brightness turned up all the way and auto is turned off.

My vision is not the greatest I admit. I cannot see the first three bars on the left and the fourth is a stretch to see it as well. No problems on the right side with the last few bars. Nothing seems to overlap all the way through and for what I can see, the progress in colors is minimal.

I started messing with alternate browsers to view web pages. Now I will just use Safari in landscape mode and I'm happy with what I see. Reading books right from the get go was no issue and also I used the Mini the last few days ALOT.

No eye strain or headaches. I do use reading glasses.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
My wife and I are both happy with our minis. I'm not sure what the point is of comparing them with brightness all the way up.

To point out some variation which is only visible in the right conditions which we would never notice without putting them side by side? :rolleyes:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, I looked at the photos.

DRASTICALLY different?....NOT.

Are they Exactly the same? of course not. More like 'the same', is a better description.

The problem is you just start the lemmings on their way of the cliff. You have to be careful here as.....well you know :D

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
wonder how accurate this is? mine came out ok :)

There's no way for a user to calibrate an iPad's display, so accuracy is not what's important here. Your not trying to print the image, and have it match what you see on screen. What's important in this quick test is if the panel can display all 32 shades (or at least 2 through 32) of the six colors shown plus the greyscale.

I've had some iPad 1 and 2's that could not, and on each one colors looked washed out and off balance. Using that test I knew it wasn't just me being OCD. There was actually something not right going on.

Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Ok, I looked at the photos.

DRASTICALLY different?....NOT.

Are they Exactly the same? of course not. More like 'the same', is a better description.

The problem is you just start the lemmings on their way of the cliff. You have to be careful here as.....well you know :D

Agreed its not drastic in the photos. But considering its a photo with a poor low light camera the fact it's visible indicates the issue. :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
You only have a 14 day, no reason necessary, return period. It would be my humble suggestion to open those boxes now. By Christmas, your only recourse for return is a defect, and then they will only do an exchange and not a refund.

I thought we are in the holiday period now? Returns are allowed till jan?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Believe it or not, the color of the device also affects your viewing experience. There is a reason after all TV's have black frames.

Once of my TVs has a white frame and a friend of mine has one of those new Samsungs with a shiny silver frame. I don't notice any difference in the viewing experience on those compared to a traditional black TV personally.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

Actually we are in the holiday return period for apple. So anything bought is returnable until sometime in January. It is on the website under return policy.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Hey guys--

I just took my mini to the 5th Ave apple today to compare it against a few models (black slate).

My iPad definitely has more of a yellow tint compared to the floor models, which seemed to have brighter whites and sharper blues. That being said, after staring at each, mine is definitely easier on my eyes -- though the text is noticeably less sharp on mine.

I have two more in-store pickups being processed, so as soon as they get them, I'll open em up, see which I like the best, and return the other two.

Thank god for the holiday season return period!

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Lolcat,

Noes, keep playz lottery.

Apples

lolcat,

has u gone cray? wait for the next onez

lulzapplecat

----------

i have the 32gb white and screen looks amazing... even more vibrant than the black minis ive seen in store. iono im just lucky i guess.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Mine is so sharp I can see the pixels!

I must ask though, is it normal (or do you all) see almost 'noise' in the small photos when you are in wallpaper settings or in Photos app? Is it because Apple is caching the images?

It isn't apparent when the photos are fullscreen, or in safari. Almost a 24 bit look to them. I didn't notice this on my iPad 2 screen (which I haven't had for awhile) and I haven't been near an apple store to check other units out.

Oddly Apples own Wallpaper images don't show the effect. It must be caching.

Here's a photo of my screen (iPhone 5 over saturates a bit)

I'm happy. Blacks are Black, Whites are White and it's pretty vibrant. Not as vibrant as my iPad 3 was, but it also doesn't have yellow corners! I actually have to turn the brightness down quite a bit for it not to hurt my eyes.

IMG_0145.png

New more true to life saturation (Lower brightness):

IMG_0149.png

Silly note: When taking the picture my iPhone 5's camera actually thought the address book man was a face!

:D

Last edited:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Hey guys--

I just took my mini to the 5th Ave apple today to compare it against a few models (black slate).

My iPad definitely has more of a yellow tint compared to the floor models, which seemed to have brighter whites and sharper blues. That being said, after staring at each, mine is definitely easier on my eyes -- though the text is noticeably less sharp on mine.

I have two more in-store pickups being processed, so as soon as they get them, I'll open em up, see which I like the best, and return the other two.

Thank god for the holiday season return period!

Tint variations between screens is normal and which is better depends on user preference.

Honestly I think these screen complaints are silly, obviously there are going to be lemons that are completely unacceptable but most of the complaints I've seen here with pictures have just been silly for the most part.

Amazes me how people actually return their iPad over 3 times just to get a perceived 'perfect' screen.

First world problems for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.