Two iPads and sharing books, movies, etc.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Davydd, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Davydd macrumors regular

The inevitable happened with my iPhone. I bought an ebook on Amazon.com and talked about it so much that my wife went out and bought the paper version thus doubling our household cost. Doubling cost would never happen with paper alone. We buy and rent DVD movies but don't always watch them at the same time. As for music, our taste are entirely different. She doesn't have an iPhone.

My question. If I bought two iPads can two people share one purchased ebook, movie, etc.? If possible, how would it be set up to do so? Right now I have the only iTunes account and we each have separate Amazon.com accounts.

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

It should work the same as with multiple iPhone/iPod Touch/iPods.....sync both devices to the same iTunes account and everything should be cool

3. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Nobody really knows yet but if it happens like the iPhone. You can get the same content if you use the same iTunes account on both devices, and sync them to the same computer/account.

4. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

I know with audiobooks you can sub-license them to like 3 or 5 people (not sure of the number, but it's greater than 2). I can't remember the process, but I believe it involved a manual cut/paste, and then the sub-licensee has to enter some password or something. I would think eBooks would be similar... I guess we'll see.

(I've done this with my wife on an audiobook, and we have separate iTunes accounts...)

5. Davydd thread starter macrumors regular

This brings up another question. If you have one iTunes account can you sync different things to your iPhone and iPad, and for that matter, different things on the two iPads? I obviously would not want the same things on each. I've never encountered this question in having but the one iPhone.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes. Each device has its own sync settings, which can be customized as you want, totally independent of each other.

7. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

What you can sync (in terms of purchased content) is tied to your iTunes account.

What you actually sync is tied to each individual device.

8. Davydd thread starter macrumors regular

So to share on two iPads one needs to have just one iTunes account and each iPad could be customized with whatever one wants to sync from the master iTunes account. That would be workable.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes that is correct and the cheapest way to run multiple iPhones ipads iPod etc.

10. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

same for iPod touch

Sorry if this has been answered before. And sorry for bringing this old thread up again (someone will probably get mad, so I will apologize in advance) but I didn't want to be told that I should have searched for this before... this is a similar question, but I'm wondering how this works for apps?

My younger sister (she's under 18) shares my account. Though we live in different states and have different Macs, when she buys music it goes through me and the same for apps (obviously). Tonight, as I am visiting, I decided to download Words with Friends so that we could play against each other. It is a $2.99 app and I was expecting to pay $2.99 again, but the iPod said, "You've purchased this before, so this download is free." But when one or both of us sync our iPods will we lose the app? If so, how does one buy the app twice with the same account for two different devices?

Thanks much!

11. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

If the iTunes software on both computers/devices are purchasing apps from the same iTunes account then it can be downloaded onto 5 computers (I think it's 5). Then everything that has been said above comes into play. You won't lose the app when you sync.