Two iPads, one shared iTunes account...

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Michaeld50, May 25, 2011.

1. Michaeld50, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Michaeld50 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for some advice and guidance. That being said, let me describe my situation:

My wife and I share a Mac Mini with two separate user accounts. My account has Mail, Address Book and iPhoto setup to be unique to me and the same for my wife's account. Where it may get interesting is that we currently have one shared iTunes library in Users>Shared. This has been a perfect solution so far.

I got an iPad 2 3 weeks ago and it has been a lot of fun. Since it is obviously not a multi-user device, we decided to get another for my wife.

Can we manage two distinctly different iPads from a shared iTunes library or is it time to go back to two unique libraries? I have no drive space issues that would stop going back to unique to the account libraries.

Anyone have any direct experience with this or any comments or suggestions? Wife's iPad just shipped today from the Apple Store.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, you can use multiple iDevices with one iTunes account and have them set up differently.

When connecting the iDevice, you cal select what apps, songs, etc you want on that device. Repeat for the 2nd device and the settings will be remembered each time the device is connected.

3. mutchy126 macrumors regular

Great!

Great Answer from ME!!! ;)

4. club1820 macrumors member

Are you sure? Even with the same library?

I wasn't sure of this so I created separate libraries for iPad and iPod. I hit the shift key when starting iTunes depending on what I am connecting.

5. specialk0449 macrumors member

I sync 2 iPads, an iPod, and my iPhone to one iTunes account. No problems on this end.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I do that for 3 ipads, 3 ipods. No problems here. cost effective!

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Absolutely, I have 4 or 5 iDevices that sync different things to/from the same library.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No need. You can even hook up multiple iPads/iPods at once if you have cables and open USB ports for them.

9. ashkir macrumors newbie

When I got this iPad I gave my old one to my grandmother. She loves it. Does her banking, Facebook, maps, mail, games and stuff on it. Her iTunes account is mine. Honestly, she never asked for mympassword as she's afraid it'll break if she tried to install something new so she waits until I come around and have me do it.

Only thing I do recommend is create a second iTunes account for Game Center only. :)