Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I currently have an iPhone 11 (paid for in cash) with a pay-monthly SIM-only plan, and an Apple Watch with its own cellular plan.

The contract for the pay-monthly SIM is up for renewal. None of the SIM-only options is particularly appealing and all are more expensive than my current plan, which I cannot keep.

However, there is what looks like a great deal on an iPhone SE 2020. Because of the increased cost, I would be tempted to end the Apple Watch's cellular plan, which I'm not sure I've ever even used as I always have my phone with me.

My question: How am I going to make two phones, one SIM and one WIFI-only Watch work?

My thoughts are these.

Remove the SIM from the 11 and have it rely on WIFI. Use the 11 (which is a Pro Max) as essentially a mini iPad for use indoors. This is what it spends most of its life doing anyway.

Put the SIM in the SE and pair the SE with the Watch. Use the SE as an outdoor device and as an actual phone. I love how the SE is so small and light: in some ways I miss my iPhone 8.

The Watch will be dependent on the SE, but presumably it will still do everything it does now, except survive on its own, which is not something I've ever needed it to do.

On those rare occasions where I want to use the 11 as the primary device — basically when I'm on holiday once or twice a year — transfer the SIM to the iPhone 11 and pair the watch to it, reversing the procedure when I'm back home.

Does this make sense? Does it sound crazy? Does anyone else do anything similar?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It does sound a little crazy, to be honest (no offense!). I cannot see why you'd have an 11 Pro Max to basically use as a small iPad. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the SE, an iPad, and the watch (permanently paired to the SE)? Are you doing this just so that you can use the 11 PM as a primary device once or twice a year? Doesn't seem worth it to me, but I guess if you've got the money, and it's what you want to do, why not.

Putting that aside, I do think your plan will work. The SIM transfer is quite easy, but pairing and unpairing the watch is a pain - but doable.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I guess my thinking is that my dream scenario has always been two iPhones. The Pro Max has a great camera set-up, battery life and screen size for easy browsing. But it's so big and heavy to carry around. Especially in the summer when I don't have big enough pockets for it!

The deal I'm looking at gives me 50GB of data instead of 10GB, and the SE. The extra cost is only £13 a month more than I'm currently paying.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I guess my thinking is that my dream scenario has always been two iPhones. The Pro Max has a great camera set-up, battery life and screen size for easy browsing.
But you're talking about the Pro Max basically being a home device, right? Isn't an ipad an even better choice for both battery life and screen size on a device that basically just stays at home? I guess not for cameras (though you could get an iPad Pro), but you won't be using the pro to photograph anything outside the home anyway, right?

I'm not trying to dissuade you here, just really trying to see the advantage to two phones vs one phone and one iPad.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
But you're talking about the Pro Max basically being a home device, right? Isn't an ipad an even better choice for both battery life and screen size on a device that basically just stays at home? I guess not for cameras (though you could get an iPad Pro), but you won't be using the pro to photograph anything outside the home anyway, right?

I'm not trying to dissuade you here, just really trying to see the advantage to two phones vs one phone and one iPad.

I have an iPad (two, actually, lol). I mostly use my Pro Max for sofa browsing. I find iPads are too big for that.

I wouldn't normally consider buying a second phone. It's just it seems like a good deal and I do like the size and weight of the SE when I'm outdoors.

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
I have an iPad (two, actually, lol). I mostly use my Pro Max for sofa browsing. I find iPads are too big for that.

I wouldn't normally consider buying a second phone. It's just it seems like a good deal and I do like the size and weight of the SE when I'm outdoors.

It would def work the way you have laid it out. When (if) the new iPad mini comes out you may wanna consider selling the 11pmax and get that for home use. The mini iPads are the perfect at home surfing/media content source (IMO).

Reactions: John dosh

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Keep in mind every time you’re going to switch phones you will have to unpair the watch, which will delete it every time and you have to set it up.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
My thoughts are these.

Remove the SIM from the 11 and have it rely on WIFI. Use the 11 (which is a Pro Max) as essentially a mini iPad for use indoors. This is what it spends most of its life doing anyway.

Put the SIM in the SE and pair the SE with the Watch. Use the SE as an outdoor device and as an actual phone. I love how the SE is so small and light: in some ways I miss my iPhone 8.

The Watch will be dependent on the SE, but presumably it will still do everything it does now, except survive on its own, which is not something I've ever needed it to do.

On those rare occasions where I want to use the 11 as the primary device — basically when I'm on holiday once or twice a year — transfer the SIM to the iPhone 11 and pair the watch to it, reversing the procedure when I'm back home.

Does this make sense? Does it sound crazy? Does anyone else do anything similar?
We do this kinda. We usually use the better phone as the daily driver and the older, off-contract unlocked phone as the travel phone (with local SIM), though. :p

Just have an allowance when re-pairing Apple Watch in case you run into glitches and so there's plenty of time to restore and download apps.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I can’t give up the Pro Max camera setup. It’s too good. I love the size of the SE though.

I would be all over that 5.4 inch if it had Pro features. But it won’t.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I thought I’d give you an update on how things worked out.

I really love the SE. It’s so small and light. But with no compromise on power. And the screen seems every bit as good as the iPhone 11, no matter what the specs say.

In fact, I love it so much, I’m selling the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I can get a decent price for it and that cash is worth more to me than the amazing camera, bigger screen and longer battery life.

Turns out that an SE and an iPad mini are the dream combo for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.