Two issues with my new MBP's screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dobomode, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dobomode macrumors newbie

Hello all.

Just got my new MBP 15'' (my first Mac!). I've been quite happy with it and have been busy getting up to speed with OS X and everything that comes with it.

I recently read some posts about a yellow screen issue that some MBP's have. I think I may have this. I have attached a camera photo of my screen (I tried to white-balance it as much as possible). The lower portion of the screen definitely looks a bit more yellowish (of course in a very subtle way). I also noticed this weird bright spot in the upper right corner of the screen (it's always there).

How bad is this? Is this a situation justifying a replacement. I bought this from the new 14th Street store in NYC.

I've also attached a screenshot of my Display model window.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B05
    SMC Version: 1.16f10
    Serial Number: W88013CDX91
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

Attached Files:

2. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I think the yellowing was fixed some time ago and new MBPs no longer suffer from that problem. From the pic, your screen looks fine in that sense, at least to me.

However, the bright bit at the top of the screen isn't normal. I'd return it now and get it replaced whilst you still have time to do so. The longer you wait the more reluctant they will be to exchange it for you.

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I concur. That doesn't look like the yellowing some of us saw with earlier MBPs.

But that spot in upper right doesn't look normal. I'd have them look at that.

4. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

Agreed. That bright spot is interesting.

5. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Looks like something in the case is pushing on the screen in that spot, definitely not normal. You should take it in for replacement. And I don't see any yellowing, just viewing angle changes in brightness..

6. apattee macrumors regular

yeah return it while you can. it shouldn't be a hassle, unless you have to ship it or drive awhile. you spent a lot of money, so be happy with it!!

7. dobomode thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response guys!

If I were to try to replace my screen, how would I go about it? Just go to the store and show them the white spot? Would they think it's serious enough and if so, how long does it typically take to do it? Would they replace the screen or the whole laptop?

Thanks!