Two iTunes libraries in my /Music folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by masterp34588, Nov 12, 2008.

1. masterp34588 macrumors newbie

I was just organizing my Movies/TV shows and discovered that a good portion of my media on itunes is stored in a /windows directory I created a long time ago when I was moving my library over from windows. I thought that I moved everything over to my /music/itunes folder but it appears not. Some of my files are in the /music/itunes folder but it seems that most is in the /windows director. What should I do to merge the two folders?

When I look in preferences/advanced my current iTunes Music folder location is "Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:windows:" and I would like it to be
    "Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:iTunes:"

If I point my folder location to the iTunes directory will that harm anything or will it merge the folders? Also, if I do point it to that directory should I point it to "Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:iTunes" or
    "Macintosh HD:Users:me:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music"?

2. masterp34588 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You want all your music in your itunes folder?

Okay

1) In iTunes->Preferences->Advanced, change your iTunes Music Folder Location to "Macintosh HD:Users:You:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:"

2) Choose File->Library->Consolidate Library. This will move all your music into your iTunes music folder.

4. masterp34588 thread starter macrumors newbie

But if I do that will it overwrite any of my music? Somehow iTunes started pulling music from two different folders and I want it to just be one. If for instance I have two albums by Radiohead (one in each of the folders) and I consolidate the library will it overwrite one of the albums?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, it should be fine.