Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Hi Everybody,
So here's my question. I have decided to manage two iTunes libraries on a single user account by using the old "option key on launch" trick; one on my Macbook's HD and another on an external HD. However, is it possible to view and access both of the libraries in parallel, or at least switch quickly between them without having to quit iTunes and launch it again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben.

ben88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
When I say I want to "view and access both of the libraries in parallel", I mean I want to open both libraries in seperate iTunes windows, so sorry if that seemed ambiguous. I've tried to simply run iTunes itself twice, by cloning the whole application, however that doesn't seem to work. Has anyone else got any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You could create a 3rd library, which consists of all the music in both of your existing libraries. Any mp3 tag modifications, lyrics and manually-added cover art would appear in the combined library, as well as the individual library, since those changes are stored in the mp3 files. However, if you delete a file from the combined, when you open the individual library, you'll get the "!" icon on the deleted song.

ben88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
OK guys, sorry for the delay, but thanks for the advice.

I tried using the iTunes Library manager you suggested, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work for me. No problem. The task of library management is proving to be less problematic than I initially thought.

I intially just asked about a two-window/copy-app solution for convenience, so it would save me having to quit and restart iTunes everytime I wanted to switch between libraries. Some apps (like mail) can run twice. I just don't understand why iTunes won't. No big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.