Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Hello all,
I have had this MacBook (2.4 GHz, 2 GB, 160 GB) since mid-March but I've been using it more intensively only recently. I was hoping that these problems I'm about to describe would get better with OS X updated, but it doesn't sound like it.
The two glitches I have experienced since the beginning are as follows:

1. Some keys sometimes just don't catch. This seems to happen especially on the right side of the keyboard, most notably the full stop key. I noticed this the first time I typed a web address, as Safari complained that it couldn't find "slashdotorg". Other keys exhibiting the same problem are the dash (which on the italian keyboard is located between the full stop and the right shift) and at times the apostrophe (on the right of the 0 key). It doesn't always happen, it just feels as if I have to press harder to make it register. I don't know if it's just a matter of habit, but I have the slim keyboard for the iMac which is very similar even though that one feels more robust, and if my pressing were not good enough, it should apply to the whole keyboard or at least to all the keys I press with my right hand, no?

2. Slow, slow, slow typing. When I type a bunch of text without stopping, such as this post, the MacBook simply lags behind. I can keep writing and writing and it just won't keep up with my typing. This happens whatever application I'm using, and even if I only launch the application I'm going to type in as soon as the system boots up. This is really really annoying, considering that I got the MacBook also to write. But, in general, the thing gets terribly annoying even when chatting with people online because it feels as if the system can't keep up, but keeping an eye on Activity Monitor doesn't really give any hint of resource choking of any kind.
I read somewhere that the "acceptance delay" setting in Universal Access might have something to do. I set it to "Short" and on the spot it seemed it was helping, but it was really just placebo because right now, for instance, right as I'm typing this, it's lagging behind already. Besides, I don't have the "slow keys" option enabled. The key repeat settings, on the other hand, are set to Fast repeat and Short initial delay (I can't stand anything slower... inheritance of my Linux days ;) ).

My unproved guess is that they keyboard has some kind of hardware problem, but I'd like to hear the opinion of someone else who might have had the same problem before calling Apple and sending it to them or anything. I don't have any "missing first letter" issue, albeit the keys on the right side that it doesn't take might be considered missing letters -- I know I press the keys, but they don't register. However, if I press them "deeper", it always works.

I am very confused here, I hope someone can shed some light. :)

Thank you very much in advance!

jollino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
An update: I tried zapping the PRAM and creating a new user, but the problem arises just the same.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated, am I missing something or do I just have to have Apple have a look at it?

Thanks!

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
It's a hardware problem. Pressing harder on the key to make it work usually means that there is a spacing problem between the key and the contact or that there is a problem with one of the channels that carries the info from the key to the logic board. If problems occur in clusters of adjacent keys, then it is probably the later.

In either case, gotta send it in or do your own replacement.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
I had feared so. My main problem is the slowness in response when I'm typing fast, and I just tried today using the aluminum slim keyboard I use with the iMac and found that it works perfectly.
Might it be possible that the two problems (occasionally missed keystrokes AND slowness, which is just showing up even as I'm typing this!) are linked?
I am going to call the Apple Center where I bought this MacBook tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.