Two keyboards with two layouts on mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cubeeless, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

I use two keyboards on the mac, the default mac keyboard and a external apple keyboard with german layout. How can the mbp detect both input sources and switch from qwerty to qwertz.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If your external keyboard is hardwired to use QWERTZ, it won't be affected by the keyboard layout choosen in the OS. In other words, the computer doesn't need to switch between layouts; it only needs to read the output coming from the keyboard.

For example one of the keyboards I use is Dvorak. No matter what layout I choose in OS X/Windows, the keyboard will always output in the Dvorak layout.

3. Cubeeless thread starter macrumors regular

Cubeeless

its not hardwired it is the apple wireless bluethooth keyboard

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have your tried keeping the layout set as the same as the internal keyboard, and see what happens when you use the external keyboard? Does it output as QWERTZ?

Perhaps set up and use a shortcut to switch between the two layouts. My external keyboard is hardwired, perhaps that's why I don't to deal with switch layouts manually.

5. Cubeeless thread starter macrumors regular

Cubeeless

Yeah i can change the layout manually. There is a flag in the top where I can change it, but I want that the machine detects itself what the output device transmits.##When the layout is qwertz then qwertz is coming, not important what the the keyboards says.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

That went completely went over your head.

7. Cubeeless thread starter macrumors regular

Cubeeless

what ya mean?