Two laptops - what do i do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joeski, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Joeski macrumors member

I'm a high school student that recently graduated. I'll be attending college in the fall to study broadcasting. Before I graduated, I was the happy owner of a 13'' Macbook. For a graduation present, i received a Macbook Air.

What I'm getting at is, what should i do with the laptops? My music and photo collection are too big for the Air, and i think the Macbook can handle my work in Photoshop and Final Cut Pro a lot better than the air.

Ideally, could I sell/trade in both laptops and go for a 15" Macbook Pro? I don't know if thats possible.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if i were in your place, i'd choose one laptop to keep and sell the other to get a desktop like a mini or imac (psst...sell the macbook).

3. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I guess, since you've received the MBA as a graduation gift, there's only one option if you want to sell one of the laptops. When will people start to understand that you should never gift a gadget to a geek without asking him first? :D

4. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yea. Does anyone know if i could sell them back to Apple at all? The Macbooks in excelent shape and the Air I took out of the box yesterday. If I could i'd do that, and buy the 15" Macbook Pro. It's the best of both worlds for me - hard drive size, power, and sexy look :)

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You can't sell them back to apple, you could return them if you have a receipt and if they are within their return date (14 days).

I say sell the Mac Book and get the MacBook Pro. Keep the Air as a travel everywhere, note taking book, then leave the MBP at home/dorm chained to your desk to do your heavy lifting.

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

If you need money, just sell the air and stick with the macbook.

If it's not a huge deal...

Sell your macbook and get an imac (refurb or new with ipod bonus) Big harddrive for your music and such, and good for your heavy listing and a BEAUTIFUL screen for watching movies and having a lot of windows open etc, heavier lifting.

Macbook air makes a perfect on the go - back and forth from classes, school to home, coffee shops etc - web browsing in bed computer.

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Perfect suggestion. If I did not need mobility, I would have gone for the iMac instead of the MacBook: bigger screen, bigger/faster HDD, dedicated video card, and more room for heat to dissipate.

8. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Brilliant!

And also buy Mobile Me, to keep everything between your computers synced.

Oh and if you buy a NEW iMac, you could possibly use the iPod discount towards an iPod Classic, and that could double as your portable hard drive for your MB Air!

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I would keep one and sell the other. You obviously got on well with one computer before this; you shouldn't just buy a desktop for the sake of having one.

10. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

This sounds like the perfect set up to me, bro.
    ;)

11. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

sell the macbook and buy a iMac

keep the air for portability

12. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

agreed.
    as previous posters have mentioned - i would sell the macbook (has great re-sale value) and pick up a nice iMac for everything else. the Air's portability will be a great asset for when you wanna pick up your laptop and be on-the-move.
    this is what i'm looking to do...just got my iMac and waiting for MacBook revision, if not the Air it is (love the portability and screen!)