Two MacBook Pro Programs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chattahoochee, Nov 16, 2013.

1. chattahoochee macrumors 6502

Setting up my new MacBook Pro after Migrating data from my old MacBook I ended up with two programs. At the top right of the screen I can change to the other each with a different password. I only want one of these, how do I delete the unwanted one ?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not really a hardware issue as in Mac Pro or MacBook Pro. Its a software issue as in Mac OS X. Meaning that not only did you post in the wrong forum but it was the wrong hardware forum too.

Your description is not really helpful in helping you. What are the two programs at the top of the screen? Can you post a screen shot of what you are trying to describe?

3. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

This is the view, as you can see it shows two (2) programs. Each have all the same data.

4. chattahoochee thread starter macrumors 6502

The attachment did not copy on the thread. I'll try again.

Attached Files:

5. hfg, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You don't have 2 "programs" ... you have 2 "logins" as shown.

You must have gone completely through the initial setup on your new Mac and then used Migration Assistant to move your old machine over to the new one (rather than doing the migration as part of the startup routine prior to creating your user account). Thus, you have the new Mac initial login account (Lewis Knudsen), and the migrated account (Lewis Knudsen 1). Since you probably didn't do much after creating the new Mac account, you probably want your original login from the old computer.

If you login to the "Lewis Knudsen 1" account, you should see your old desktop, apps, and data from the old computer. You can then go to "SystemPreferences / Users & Groups" and delete the "Lewis Knudsen" account. Simply unlock the padlock at the bottom, select the account to delete, and press the "-" button. You can totally delete the account when asked.

That's it... :)

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Very well said.