Two Macbook Pro's down in 24 hours

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auero, Jun 21, 2009.

1. auero macrumors 65816

So yesterday I'm cleaning my room and tap my trackpad to wake my computer (the screen turned off) and it's not working... nothing is working to turn the screen back on. Alright, hold the power button and it turns off. I try to turn it back on, failure. So I knew it was the logic board right there and I take it to the apple store and wait on standby because I need it fixed ASAP. Finally the mac genius takes a look and agrees its the logic board and says they'll fix it by friday. (Note this is a 6 month old macbook pro)

So this afternoon Im in the living room and my parents macbook pro is on the coffee table. I open it and notice its off which was weird because they never actually turn it off. I turn it off by holding the power button, turn it back on and hear a chime but no display. I remembered reading an article which I found and corresponds to the laptop

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

My question is, I know that the risk of the data being lost is slim, but is there a way to backup the files from my parents laptop for them? You cannot hook up an external screen, it doesn't work. I dont remember networking being setup to see files etc. Is there anything I can do? Would connecting an ethernet wire to another computer work?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

2. lazydesi macrumors 6502

remove the HDD from that broken MBP and connect to another working mac using USB or firewire external enclosure and select boot from your hDD choice

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

or if you have a firewire 800 cable use Target Disk Mode to access the MBP's hard drive from the desktop of another Mac with a firewire port.

4. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll try that! Hopefully I have one. Thank you.

5. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Worked!! Thank you so much!