Two MacBook Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by michaelleung, Mar 4, 2009.

1. michaelleung macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a 2.0GHz aluminum MacBook, and I've got a few questions.

Firstly, when I use Boot Camp to dual-boot into Vista, can I modify the hard drive partition given to Windows after I've made the partition and installed Vista, or do I have to erase Windows and create a bigger partition?

Secondly, our school has a discount for the MacBook, giving me the 2.0 GHz aluminum MacBook with iWork and AppleCare, for HKD $10,246. The laptop when sold in retail costs $10,200. Is this a good deal, or can I find a cheaper one elseware? (Note that to convert HKD to USD, divide by 7.8)

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

When using Boot Camp, if you need to adjust the size of the partition later on, you'd have to use a third-party program to do that for you. By default, you can't adjust it using the programs that come with the computer. However, something like iPartition would work well.

Secondly, education institutions usually offer discounts on Macs. It's not usually a huge discount, but often is better than nothing.

3. michaelleung thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! The iPartion program seems very useful, and it's just what I want. I think I'll try out the demo and see if I like it.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's inadvisable to tamper with the partition. I'd say give it around 40-50GB and leave it. It's much more trouble than it's worth when you try to change partition sizes.

That's a good deal since you get iWork (616 HKD) and AppleCare (2340 HKD) just for 241 HKD more compared to retail. I'd go for it. iWork is $79 USD and AppleCare is $300 USD.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Almost an 18% discount. And I calculated the same configuration at my son's school and you are getting a better deal than he would by about HKD $1240. -GDF

6. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

7. sallythemac Guest

Check out WinClone. Copies your existing Boot Camp partition to a file, let's you delete the existing partition, make a new (bigger) one using the OS X Boot Camp Assistant then puts your WinClone back up back onto the partition - all from within OS X. And WinClone is free. I can't recommend it enough.

8. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I ended up getting larger drive and using the winclone program for resizing etc. I actually only left 80 gb for the mac partition and partitioned 220GB for windows. I just store all my media/documents on the windows partition. Only mac specific apps and OS on mac partition. I installed NTFS-3G, which lets me access the windows partition with full access from OSX. This way I can use the files in both windows and mac os, no matter what I boot into.