Two Macs for One

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BioChron, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

Greetings,

I have the chance to obtain a 1.83 CD MBP (with 2 GB of RAM) by forking over my MacBook and 17" iMac (Both of which are 1.83 CD, the MB having 2 GB of RAM). I am a bit skeptical as I would be loosing two machines, and while I would much like a MBP, I don't know that it would be worth it. This would be a trade.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. cah87 macrumors regular

i wouldn't do it but maybe that is just me........

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Well would you gain anything by getting the MBP? It seems that the imac might be the same unless you need the video card on the road. I do think you're getting a bad deal though because if you sold both you might be able to pick up a C2D mbp.

4. blueicedj macrumors 6502

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Smells bad. The mbp won't do much for you over the convenience of a mb and an iMac put together. Don't do it; your current setup is pretty awesome if you ask me.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Heck, even if it was for a brand new 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, I'd still call it a marginal deal. That was the bottom of the line MacBook Pro, and was only even available for a few months. The fact that your two existing machines are equal in speed means you're trading two of something for one of the same.

eBay has 1.83 GHz MacBooks selling for $700-$1000. 1.83 GHz iMacs for the same. 1.83 GHz MacBook Pros, on the other hand, are only $1000 to $1400. That means the lowest-priced MacBook Pros are selling for the same as the highest priced MacBooks. You could sell both of yours and get a newer, but not latest (Santa Rosa) generation Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. (I see a couple 17" 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros selling for $2000.)