Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akchang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. For the last week I have had nothing but trouble with my connection to a Time Capsule. I have managed to get a steady connection but it's not very stable (pings jump wildly). Tonight I noticed that it was fine until my wife turned on her Macbook and it seemed to interfere with my connection slowing it down.

I am currently using an airport express as a wireless extender (not WDS) to the Time Capsule. This is happening in the room where the Airport Express is plugged in.

So is there any reason for interference between the two laptops and how do I avoid it?

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Have you tried directly connecting both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook up to the Time Capsule? Also, when you say that you are using an Airport Express as a wireless extender, do you mean that you have your internet connection going through the Time Capsule, then having your Airport Express repeat the signal, while having your two computers connected to the Airport Express? If so, then I imagine that the Airport Express simply cannot handle the load of both the computers using it, and having to contact the Time Capsule to get the Internet for both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.