Two Macs - One External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sadhoser, Dec 12, 2008.

1. sadhoser macrumors newbie

First of all, I am not at all familiar with external hard drives, or networking computers!

Alright, I have two macs both using OSX, and one LaCie external HD.

So far I've been able to figure out sharing the HD - I am able to open and look at the files on the computer not physically connected to the HD.

However, my issues lies in that I can't move delete or otherwise edit anything on the HD from said computer - which is a must.

Also, on the computer physically connected to the HD I need to constantly provide a password before doing any editing and for the most part I can't seem to add files - I've checked and double checked and the HD info says all users/admin etc are able to read and write.

I know it's possible to do what I want as our old HD did this... Any suggestions or ideas?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are two problems here.

First problem is the sharing settings for the drive, which are distinct from the permissions. These you need to change in System Preferences, in Sharing.

Second, before you're connected to the drive on the computer that's not physically connected to the drive, you should see a little checkbox at the log in prompt to save this username/password in the keychain. This should prevent the constant password prompts.

3. sadhoser thread starter macrumors newbie

So I set prompt to Remember my password and username... but that did not seem to help.

I still need to enter my password.

The messages tell me I do not have sufficient writing privileges and must, therefore, authenticate / type password in order to do anything.

I get the same message when I try to copy and paste, or moves files around on the Mac no physically connected to the HD, only it simply does not let me do what I want - no password prompt.

I think this just may be a bit beyond me... lol